The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Pomerol, Chile, CDP, Tokaji, Barossa

by Jay Labrador » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Dinner at Chef Jessie's.

I tried to post pictures of these but I keep getting this message: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Odd, as I've posted pictures before without any trouble and I can post pictures to our local Philippines wine forum. Anyway, here are the notes.

Chateau La Providence (Pomerol) 1970 - Bought from a guy who put out an ad trying to sell his wine collection. I didn't really want to buy this but he practically begged me to buy it. He let me have it for about $ 12.00. Good thing! Bottle condition looked good with wine level at the bottom of the neck. Remarkable for a wine so old. Cork was a little spongy and broke towards the bottom. Touch of caramel and still a bit of fruit on the nose. Gradually, mushroom and dried herb took over. Slightly cheesy on the finish but there was a gentle sweet note throughout. Soft but still has good structure. Definitely very much alive. If this were served blind I probably would have guessed Bordeaux from the late 80s. Acidity gradually taking over after 30 minutes. Lovely wine.

Domaine Font de Michelle Cuvée Etienne Gonnet Chateauneuf du Pape 1998 - Quite sweet. Plum jam and black cherry. Some dried herb and dark roast coffee as well. Soft tannins. Could probably age a few more years before hitting peak but seems close to it. Excellent.

Grant Burge Meshach 1999 - Sweet, soft, and minty. Too oaky for my taste but not bad.

Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta 2005 - Jammy. Some smoked meat. Already soft with very ripe fruit. Still primary. Could probably use a little more time.

Kiralyudvar Tokaji Cuvée Ilona 2002 - A rather lightish Tokaji. Burnt sugar and honey. Candied pineapple and dried mango. Creamy mouthfeel with some good acidity on the finish to balance the sweetness.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pomerol, Chile, CDP, Tokaji, Barossa

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Nice!

Thanks for the notes. Missed you.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.