The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Donkey and Goat, Broc Cellars, Bouchaine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Donkey and Goat, Broc Cellars, Bouchaine

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 am

Release party this weekend!

Standout wines for me were

2012 Anderson Valley Merlot, which shared the high acid, tangy, and savory house style but was also lovely in its plum round Merlot fruit character. A lovely wine.

And, the lovely white blend, The 2013 Sluice Box, which was Vermintino, Grenache Blanc, Marsanne, and PicPoul. Refershing and lithe on the palate, not spritzy but almost. A savory edge as well. BUT...a hint of sweetness as well.

Next Door, quite enjoyed the Broc Cellars Valdigue from Green Valley in Solano County. Funky, smooth, light raspberry fruit. Delicious. The Vine Star Zinfandel was like no other Zinfadel I have ever had. It spoke more of "natural wine" than conventional zinfadel (and closcked in at 12.5% abv!) but it spoke clearly of fresh brerry fruit and savory and tangy notes.

2009 Bouchaine Estate (Carneros) Pinot Noir. Wow. Earthy dark plum fruit with a savory edge, this Pinot is showing lovely bottle age. By contrast, the 2012 Gee Vineyard Pinot Noir Carneros was all about the bright cherry Carneros character. Not necessarily my favorite expression of Pinot, but this was so refreshing and bright that it was lovely.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Donkey and Goat, Broc Cellars, Bouchaine

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 pm

I've enjoyed Bouchaine Chardonnay as good QPR in the past.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Donkey and Goat, Broc Cellars, Bouchaine

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:45 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I've enjoyed Bouchaine Chardonnay as good QPR in the past.

Yes. They have also an unoaked version that has some quite tangy and delicious fruit !
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach