The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Boston recommendations?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Mazzoni

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Louisville, KY

Boston recommendations?

by Jay Mazzoni » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:38 pm

In November we will be visiting good friends who recently moved to Boston, and we'll have one evening together for dinner. The restaurant choices are shown below, although none of us have been to any of the places. The gentlemen are geeky wine types, but the food must shine (no ants, please :) ).

Any suggestions, comments or personal experiences with these?

-Clio

-L'espalier

-Troquet

-Deuxave

-Craigie on Main
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Boston recommendations?

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 pm

I am not familiar with the aforementioned restaurants, but on one of your off nights (not with them) it is worth it to seek out a Legal Seafood (there should be several in Boston to pick from). They have a very nice wine list (12-15 French wines) and the best seafood this side of Maine. Please report back on the restaurant of choice, and if you get to Legal give us a review. Enjoy!
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:59 am

I'll second Legal Seafood; nice wine list and very New Englandy!
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:37 pm

If you are lucky there will be a Legal Seafood close to your concourse at the airport (it's on Concourse B). There is no better send-off from Boston than a dozen oysters and a glass or two of Sancerre or Muscadet.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Mike_F

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Mike_F » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:58 am

I dined at Troquet a few years ago, and at that time it was perfect for your requirements - food was excellent and wine list was great. I particularly remember an impressive selection of wines by the glass at fairly reasonable prices. Alas I have not had the opportunity to return since then, but if Troquet has maintained that standard in recent years, 'tis really highly recommended.
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi Jay -

Several years ago, I was fortunate enough to eat at L'Espalier before it moved to its current location at the Mandarin Oriental. I was quite impressed by the tasting menu and the wine pairings, though admittedly, it is very rare that I go to a restaurant that expensive.

I have also heard excellent things about Troquet, especially with regard to their wine list, but have never been there.
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Agree with the comments about Legal Seafood. It's a shame to go to Boston and not go to a real Boston seafood joint and Legal is as good as it gets.

Several years ago I was writing some food and wine articles for an online magazine associated with a local NPR wine show. I did one on Legal. I wound up speaking to both their general manager and their corporate beverage director who was a master of wine. These guys were really serious about the wine program and, at least at the time, had an outstanding wine list that paired very well with their food. Even if it's just a lunch, try to get there.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:43 am

We were in Boston last summer, the most impressive meal we had was at Puritan (although it is in Cambridge):

http://www.puritancambridge.com/

The food was very, very good and imaginative, and the wine list is terrific (and geeky), with rather reasonable markups.

Although you didn't ask, we also very much enjoyed the Wine Bottega (wine shop) in the North End, small but excellent, curated selection with knowledgeable and helpful management.

http://thewinebottega.com/