The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Prudhon, Knebel, Produttori

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Prudhon, Knebel, Produttori

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:33 pm

I’ve been through a couple good bottles of 2009 Henri Prudhon St. Aubin Rouge Sur le Sentier du Clou. These have been my first bottles ever from Prudhon and they have been so lovely for the $35 price. A fair-enough dose of sweet juicy fruit but with elegance poise and fine structure. Am I crazy for guessing that this benefited from the ripe vintage and is not always so perfectly composed?

I’ve also been enjoying the 2012 Knebel Röttgen Kabinett, again, so well composed and balanced, sweet tangy fruit and refreshing minerality. Liked it a lot more as it warmed and the flavors emerged, but with no corresponding loss in freshness (admittedly I have not been sitting outside in boiling summer heat while drinking these, at which point the freshness may become compromised).

I also opened my first bottle of 2010 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco and was wondering how approachable ‘approachable’ would be. Of course it started off tart and tannic but after several hours it turned to palate pleasure and I will drink some more soon. I’m not one of those Produttori veterans who compares the minutiae of every release, so I’ll leave that to others. But from my perspective this was very solid wine and very good value, worth my exploration.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

Re: WTN: Prudhon, Knebel, Produttori

by Lars Carlberg » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:08 pm

Rahsaan, I really like the 2012 Knebel Röttgen Kabinett, too.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Lars Carlberg wrote:Rahsaan, I really like the 2012 Knebel Röttgen Kabinett, too.

Any views on its near-term trajectory? A bunch of 2012s that I had been following seemed to be shutting down and getting more austere towards the end of the summer. But someone strongly encouraged me to buy a few of these Knebel and they were indeed delicious. I'm just not sure whether they will continue to be good drinking over the next few months.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:00 pm

2010 Produttori is solid!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Lars Carlberg wrote:Rahsaan, I really like the 2012 Knebel Röttgen Kabinett, too.

Any views on its near-term trajectory? A bunch of 2012s that I had been following seemed to be shutting down and getting more austere towards the end of the summer. But someone strongly encouraged me to buy a few of these Knebel and they were indeed delicious. I'm just not sure whether they will continue to be good drinking over the next few months.

Rahsaan, I haven't had Knebel's 2012 Röttgen Kabinett for over a year now, so I don't really know how it's drinking now.

As for Produttori del Barbaresco, I visited the co-op last October and tasted with Aldo Vacca during the harvest. The local growers were delivering their Nebbiolo grapes, which were pressed outside, while we were tasting.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:06 am

Knebel rings a bell here so I found these two downtown>

2010 Knebel Riesling Uhlen Auslese (Mosel, Germany)
Wine - White $54.99 (750mL)
2010 Knebel Winninger Old Vine Rottgen Riesling Spatlese (Mosel, Germany)
Wine - White $46.99 (750mL)
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Just a piece of information: Produttori did not make any of their cru wines in 2010, so also the grapes from the best vineyards went into the Barbaresco. There were problems with rain in 2010, in particular around the village Barbaresco itself. The southern part, around Treiso, seems to have managed better this year.
/Anders