The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Corsican wines, plus Soave and SLB

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Corsican wines, plus Soave and SLB

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Monday Betsy was teaching, I had a speech, we had a very late dinner of leftovers. Wine was the 2012 Yves Leccia “Cuvee YL” (Ile de Beaute) . Fresh, red fruits, spicy, pleasant. B/B+

Betsy had given me the Ottolenghi “Plenty” cookbook, Tuesday I made the saffron cauliflower with raisins, onions, and olives. Alo made fresh (yellow and red) tomato sauce over spaghetti and sauteed some chard and arugula, wine was the 2012 Ca’Rugate “Monte Fiorentine” Soave Classico. Fresh and crisp, floral, good wine for $13. B

Grilled salmon in a teriyaki marinade, sauteed chicory, brown rice, and salad, wine was the
2005 Bize ““Marconnets”’ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. I was a little hesitant, as bigger ‘05s seem shut, but this is forward and friendly. Red fruits, earth, a little smoke, fleshy but with a touch of tangy acids, can age but drinking well now. B+

Last night was chicken breasts with a mint sauce (a Bobby Flay recipe, don’t usually like to watch his shows, but this is a killer recipe), potatoes, and red kale/beet greens. The 2011 Abbatucci “ Faustine” (Ajaccio) is a Sciacarello & Nelluccio blend (Not familiar with either).
Fresh, good acids, a little pepper. After dinner I headed to New Rochelle for a speech at Iona, when I returned I revisited. I liked before, I loved now. The pepper is really outfront, over a vibrant cherry and raspberry fruit base, with herb and anise. Fresh, light but with a good spine, long. A-/B+

Pretty sure only time I've ever opened 2 Corsican wines 3 days apart!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2 Corsican wines, plus Soave and SLB

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2005 Bize ““Marconnets”’ Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. I was a little hesitant, as bigger ‘05s seem shut, but this is forward and friendly. Red fruits, earth, a little smoke, fleshy but with a touch of tangy acids, can age but drinking well now. B+

Nice to hear. I think I have a couple of '05 Bize wines. Although very few, so will probably keep holding.