The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Prosecco, Loires, CdP, Burg, Rioja, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Prosecco, Loires, CdP, Burg, Rioja, etc

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Some friends were supposed to go to New Orleans on a rescheduled trip- despite having confirmed several times they had seat assignments, when they went to check in online they were sent to customer service- turns out Travelocity had not collected change fee, and now if they wanted to fly they’d have to pay full last minute fare. Bummer, but it meant they were free for dinner Fri. They brought the oysters, I did (purchased) crab cakes (with remoulade) and Cajun catfish, green beans with tomato, and brown rice.

I was designated shucker, and we enjoyed the NV Sorelle Bronca Extra Dry Prosecco while I worked. I’m not a big prosecco drinker (if not doing Champagne I lean more to cava or Loire or Jura bubbles), but this I like. Extra Dry, but that shows more as a fruit softness than as apparent sugar. Apple, lemon, stones, light petillance, nice length for the level. I like. B+/B

With the oysters, the 2012 Pepiere “Clos des Briords” Muscadet. Complex, taut, briney, long. Why didn’t I buy more cases? A-/B+

With dinner, a variety of wines
2004 Lopez de Heredia “Gravonia“ Rioja
Citrus and tropical fruits, mineral, a little waxy note. Good length, bright acids, holds well overnight. B+

2011 Rollin Haut-Cotes-de-Beaune
I didn’t like this as much as last time I tried it- not sure if me, the bottle, or the spice in the fish. Clean and straightforward, but a little clipped on finish with a faint but noticable metallic note. B-?

1998 Ch. de la Gardine Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Fully mature but not fading, herbs, anise, red fruits, medium bodied, no heat (only 13.5% abv) B

2011 Bart Fixin- horribly corked, get this away from me. NR

2010 Pied a Terre Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)
This was a gift, I have low expectations of unknown Napa Cabs, but this was quite pleasant.
Medium bodied, sweet Cali fruit without being candied or goopy, red fruits, just a touch of vanilla. B

Saturday we had some nice scallops from farmer’s market, broiled with a panko/persillade topping. Sides were rice with marinated shiso, braised leeks, and salad. Wine was the 2011 Richard Leroy “Les Noëls de Montbenault” Chenin , with a simple vin de France designation. I often find the Leroy wines more interesting than tasty, but this one is definitely interesting AND tasty. Dry, pit fruits, lanolin, tangy acids. Betsy likes a lot, too, though as it gets she gets an unidentifiable chemical note on nose, but not on palate (and I don’t get at all, one of those genetic sensitivity things I guess). For me, B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Prosecco, Loires, CdP, Burg, Rioja, etc

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:50 pm

While I am not a huge Muscadet fan, I do wish I had bought some of the '12 Briords.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:While I am not a huge Muscadet fan, I do wish I had bought some of the '12 Briords.

David,
Remember when we did that Briords vertical at your house?
No question the Briords is great now and will evolve in a great way for years.
Charles
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 am

Yes I do remember that. Was it you who brought the 2000?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

Yes. I brought most of them. Still have a few of the 2000.
Charles