The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Six Interesting Sweeties...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Six Interesting Sweeties...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:53 pm

Tried these dessert wines over the last week:
1. Ch.Sigalas-Rabaud AC: Sauternes (MeBaC; 13%) Heritiers de la Marquise de Lambert des Granges
Nee Sigalas) Bommes 1983
: Dark gold/burnished bronze color; rather nutty/slight oxidized strong
peachy/apricotty/botrytis slight volatile/EA complex nose; slightly sweet (5%?) bit oxidative/nutty
very strong botrytis/peachy/apricotty/honeyed slightly hot/volatile complex flavor; very long strong
botrytis/peachy/apricotty bit nutty/oxidized off-dry complex finish; still loaded w/ botrytis but
some oxidation is creeping in; expected a bit better for an '83. $23.69
grapey light stony/earthy very fragrant/perfumed attractive nose; rather tart slightly sweet rather
strong ripe/peachy/grapey slight botrytis/apricotty bit earthy flavor; very long ripe/grapey/peachy/
late hrvsty/passito-like bit earthy finish; lots of LateHrvst/passito-like character but not much
Tokaji/Aszu/botrytis character; a pleasant enough LH Furmint but just that. $15.00/hlf (KK)
: Very dark color w/ some bricking; some
alcoholic/fumey very strong grapey/licorice/chocolaty/Amador blackberry/boysenberry/briary bit dusty
quite youthful youngPort lovely nose; fairly sweet ripe/chocolaty/licorice/briary/boysenberry/
blackberry slight dusty/herbal bit complex flavor w/ ripe/smooth tannins; very long/lingering ripe/
chocolaty/boysenberry/blackberry/Amador briary/plummy lush/smooth/grapey rather sweet bit complex
finish w/ some ripe/smooth tannins; amazingly youthful and packed w/ Amador/briary fruit; showing no
signs of its age; alcohol only slightly evident; should go another 10-15 yrs. $nc(JF)/$5.00
coffee/espresso very old Malmsey Madeira-like complex flavor; very long/lingering coffee/espresso/vanilla/
Am.oak quite sweet/tart some alcoholic/hot complex finish; resembles an old Malmsey Madeira but still a very
unique dessert wine.
$30.00 (CB)
med.long rather alcoholic/hot/fumey/raw some smokey/cedary/grapey/caramel oldTawney finish w/ little tannins;
not particularly a good example of an old Porto and dominated by a raw alcohol character. $5.00 (TJ)
juice bit fumey flavor; very long intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty slight oxidative/PX-like slight
pickle juice/volatile rather complex finish; more like an old Calif TBA than an old Sauternes; some very
interesting things therein, but seems to be cracking up a bit.
for us if my group wanted some...and give us a good price. I sent me several cases of shiners & I
made up a LosAlamos release label w/ a mushroom cloud on it. I think we wound up getting another
5 cs or so of this.
I have, of course, followed Charlie's MdS from the very start, the '76 I believe from Deaver Mission
grapes. I recall previous ones as being rather more softer on the palate & more grapey. This '84 has a
sharp tanginess to it that reminds me more of a well-aged Malmsey Madeira than anything. A truly unique
dessert wine like we'll never see again.
can be. Guess you can't make a silk purse outta a sow's ear, after all.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Six Interesting Sweeties...(long/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:44 pm

I need to hit Corti Brothers before it is too late for the Mission sweetie!

Maybe Saturday!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Not To Worry....

by TomHill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 am

Brian K Miller wrote:I need to hit Corti Brothers before it is too late for the Mission sweetie!
Maybe Saturday!

Not to worry, Brian. There'll still be some of the '86 a yr down the road I suspect. That kind of wine, unlike guys on high-end bikes, is not a fast-mover!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:45 am

Sigalas-Rabaud has never rung my chimes. It's pretty much third tier IMO. Not shocked that a 30+ year old version would be uninspiring.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Sigalas-Rabaud has never rung my chimes. It's pretty much third tier IMO. Not shocked that a 30+ year old version would be uninspiring.

Yup, David....3'rd tier (or lower) pretty much fits S-R. But, then, I've had some simple/cheap negociant-btld
Sauternes (like Lichine) that were still pretty decent at 20+ yrs. Not profound...but well above their pay-grade.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Ah, the old Alexis Lichine Selections. That goes back a ways.

In Texas my chain had exclusivity for the ALS, so we stocked all those items. The Burgundies were actually pretty decent choices (that's what he got famous for first, before he became a Bordeaux landowner). And, yes, some of the Sauternes were impressive, especially at the prices. In the pre-white zin days, the AL Rose d'Anjou was one of the biggest sellers in the state; used to roll the stuff out in multi-case lots.

Met the guy a few times, but the last couple of times he was old, not very healthy, fat, and tired. both bored and boring in person. Shame, because he had meant so much to the success of the American wine business when Tom Hill was a young man.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Harumph....

by TomHill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Hoke wrote:Ah, the old Alexis Lichine Selections. That goes back a ways.

In Texas my chain had exclusivity for the ALS, so we stocked all those items. The Burgundies were actually pretty decent choices (that's what he got famous for first, before he became a Bordeaux landowner). And, yes, some of the Sauternes were impressive, especially at the prices. In the pre-white zin days, the AL Rose d'Anjou was one of the biggest sellers in the state; used to roll the stuff out in multi-case lots.

Met the guy a few times, but the last couple of times he was old, not very healthy, fat, and tired. both bored and boring in person. Shame, because he had meant so much to the success of the American wine business when Tom Hill was a young man.

Harumph....you just had to throw that out there, didn't you, Hoke!!! :cry:
Never met the guy myself. But he did some cheapo Sauternes under fictituous Ch. labels that were pretty decent, I recall.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:56 pm

You're so cute when you Harrumph. :)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:16 pm

Even in his dotage, I cannot imagine Tom Hill would ever be boring! Look at the way the man WRITES! :P
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach