The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Graillot Crozes-Hermitage '88...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Graillot Crozes-Hermitage '88...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:20 am

Tried this last night as I cracked open anuther box of goodies:
1. AlainGraillot AC: Crozes-Hermitage (12%) Tain-l'Hermitage 1988: Med.dark color w/ light bricking; classic NRhone/roasted/espresso/smokey slight funky/wet-dog fur bit earthy/dusty mature NR/complex nose; rather tart/tangy/metallic/bit drying-out/lean some NRhone/roasted/espresso/smokey light dusty flavor w/ light/bitey tannins; long quiet/classic NRhone/roasted/espresso/smokey slight dusty/earthy finish w/ light/astringent/drying tannins; a pretty classic NRhone clearly in the twilight of its yrs but still offering up some interest & pleasure as it fades into the sunset.
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Graillot Crozes-Hermitage '88...(short/boring)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:06 am

Glad it had interest. I'd say 26 is really pushing it for regular Crozes. '95 circa 2007 was tired (though interesting) even for me, who likes wines older than most.
The Graillot Guiraude and older Jaboulet Thalaberts are only Crozes that I've thought did really well at more than 10-12 years.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Graillot Crozes-Hermitage '88...(short/boring)

by Tim York » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 am

I attended a vertical of Graillot close to 10 years ago at the Belgian importer (I can't find my notes in the present archive which dates it). Wines back to the mid-80s were showing remarkably well and not just Guiraude. I concluded that they were graceful out to 20 years but adding on another 10 is probably too much. I wonder if relatively short transport to Belgium and cool Belgian cellars help longevity compared with that of most wines transported to and stored in the USA.
Tim York