The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Tasting Ontario NJ, MO, VA & CA

by Peter May » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 am

It was my turn last night to host our monthly U3A Wine Group tasting. The full group of 10 were present.

I showed wines I'd brought back from recent trips to North America.
Apart from me, it was their first taste of wines from NJ, MO and VA and only one person had tasted a wine from Canada, an ice-wine. This was the first time they had encountered Gamay Noir Droit, Chambourcin and Norton.

At the end I asked for one vote from each for their favourite wine of the night, some had equal favourites but I insisted they choose one. There were two clear favourites..... Can you guess which ones?

These were the wines
  1. Cave Spring
    Dry Riesling
    VQA Niagara Peninsula
    abv 11.5%
  2. Chateau Des Charmes
    Gamay Noir ‘Droit’ 2010
    St Davids Bench Vineyard
    VQA St Davids Bench Vineyard
    abv 13%
  3. Legends Estates Winery
    Malbec-Shiraz 2011
    Lizak Vineyards
    VQA Niagara Peninsula
    abv 12.5%
  4. Malivoire
    Cabernet Franc 2012
    VQA Twenty Mile Bench
    abv 13.5%
  5. Ridgepoint
    Nebbiolo 2008
    VQA Twenty Mile Bench
    abv 13.5%
  6. Cream Ridge Winery
    Chambourcin
    Reserve
    New Jersey
    abv 12%
  7. Strussione Cave
    Norton 2009
    St Genevieve, Missouri
    abv 13%
  8. Loma Prieta
    Pinotage 2009
    Amorosa Vineyard
    Lodi, California
    abv 15.1%
  9. Chrysalis Vineyards
    Norton 2009
    Sarah’s Patio Red
    Middleburg, Virginia
    (this is a semi-sweet wine)

Two wines got all the votes, Ridgepoint Nebbiolo (CAD $45 + 13% tax) had 3 votes, and

.Cream Ridge Chambourcin (USD $16* + tax) scored 7 !!)

I was amazed, but the Chambourcin was just so deliciously drinkable.

I know nothing about Cream Ridge. It is the only winery on the list I've not visited, it was a wine I was given at the AWS National Conference last year. From their website it appears they make mostly fruit wines, they don't appear to grow grapes themselves and they don't currently list a Chambourcin so I estimated the price based on their list.
(**Edit on 7Feb - Richard Leahy tells me this wine cost $35 at winery. They made 6 barrels, 2 were better than others and it was these 2 barrels that were bottled as 'Reserve'. Also the vintage is 2010 tho' none is shown on label)
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Tasting Ontario NJ, MO, VA & CA

by Howie Hart » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 am

Very interesting! I've had Nos. 1 & 2 on a few occasions, but different vintages. Any feedback on the rest of the pack?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:19 pm

The Riesling was generally liked, one complained of a petrol taste on the finish :roll: (they are very inexperienced)

A couple are Beaujolais fans and the Gmay they found more peppery and denser than Beaujolais

The Malbec-Shiraz made a good impression on first taste but fell out of favour on retastes as it seemed empty in the middle and the sum of them offered less thatn the individual components

Cab Franc was good, as was the Norton.

The California was criticised for being too alcoholic

The sweet Norton, served chilled as suggested on the label, was nowhere as sweet as I feared and actually was a pleasant wine to drink on its own. They were puzzled by a lack of abv on the label. It uses the term 'Ligh red wine' which means its 7-14%, I though it was so they could use the same label year after year without getting COLA approval, but its got a vintage on it, so I don't know reason.

The Nebbiolo was knockout, really excelent wine that we all noticed developed in the glass. I'd buy more if I could.

But the Chambourciin was just so easy to drink, so full, silky, sweet fruit but not a sweet wine, no rough edges. Didn't need studying or working at, it was just a enjoyable wine. And since no one had ever heard of the variety* there were no preconceptions or prejudices.

*ref inexperience, one person was under the impression Cabernet and Franc were name of two different varieties blended togather.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Well that is a real surprise....Chambourciin!! I hope the Cave Springs was well liked?
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:36 am

Bob, it was.