The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: $51

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1435

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Location

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: $51

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:41 am

Dinner with friends

First: Boiled shrimp with aioli.
2004 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:
Lovely Soave; floral nose with some cooked fruit scents and a touch of tonic water; flavors echo the nose, just a hint of RS in a texturally fat mouth feel, great acidity and balance, medium length finish. Shows young and stuffed yet went really well with the dish. Imported by Palm Bay Imports and about $17; I bought a case.

Second: Roasted monkfish with pesto; vegetable broth risotto; and, green beans with pine nuts.
2002 Baumard, Savenniéres:
Lovely, dry chenin with good depth, flesh and sustain. And stellar with the course matching each of its elements. A pairing to remember. Imported by Ex Cellars Agency and about $20; I bought a case.

Third: Assorted cheese and crackers.
2005 Domaine du Vissoux, Beaujolais Cuvée Traditionelle VV:
A rich, dark fruit driven gamay with depth, clarity, structure and length. Wonderful now; better in a couple years. Good with the cheese or by itself. Imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $14; I bought a case and need to buy another.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

26687

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: $51

by Jenise » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Jim, I'm amused when I read your notes and see case buys mentioned so often. Not to distract from the wine notes, but I must tell you that mentally I picture this Florida Jim Warehouse with a forklift moving all your wine deliveries inside. You must have a ton.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

579

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:39 am

Location

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: $51

by Clint Hall » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:33 pm

Jenise wrote:Jim, I'm amused when I read your notes and see case buys mentioned so often. Not to distract from the wine notes, but I must tell you that mentally I picture this Florida Jim Warehouse with a forklift moving all your wine deliveries inside. You must have a ton.


Mentally I've always picture Jim as weighing four hundred pounds and having the world's worst hangover.

Jim, I haven't tasted the 2002 Baumard Savennieres but I have a few bottles of the 2002 Baumard Clos du Papillon Savennieres, and boy is it lovely stuff. If I bought in the proportions you do I'd buy a hundred cases as Savennieres has to be one of France's best kept QPR secrets. I'm not sure I'm happy that so much of the stuff is now being made without needing to tuck it away for a decade or so, as now that it's more accessible I suspect the world is going to find out about it -- and so-long QPR.
User avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1435

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

Location

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: $51

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:52 pm

Clint Hall wrote:
Jenise wrote:Jim, I'm amused when I read your notes and see case buys mentioned so often. Not to distract from the wine notes, but I must tell you that mentally I picture this Florida Jim Warehouse with a forklift moving all your wine deliveries inside. You must have a ton.


Mentally I've always picture Jim as weighing four hundred pounds and having the world's worst hangover.


Jenise,
My current cellar inventory shows 727 bottles. Not as much as many, more than some.And most, pretty inexpensive in the overall scheme of things.
Clint,
I spit - a lot.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

579

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:39 am

Location

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: $51

by Clint Hall » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:59 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
Clint Hall wrote:
Jenise wrote:Jim, I'm amused when I read your notes and see case buys mentioned so often. Not to distract from the wine notes, but I must tell you that mentally I picture this Florida Jim Warehouse with a forklift moving all your wine deliveries inside. You must have a ton.


Mentally I've always picture Jim as weighing four hundred pounds and having the world's worst hangover.


Jenise,
My current cellar inventory shows 727 bottles. Not as much as many, more than some.And most, pretty inexpensive in the overall scheme of things.
Clint,
I spit - a lot.
Best, Jim


Jim, you made my day.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Robin Garr and 5 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign