The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Barolo Altare,Müller 03,fine Cairanne,pretty Ventoux..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN:Barolo Altare,Müller 03,fine Cairanne,pretty Ventoux..

by Tim York » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:59 am

The last few days' wines were less exciting than those noted a week ago -

2008 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (3/10/2015)
All the usual good attributes are there; good colour, medium body, lively red fruit, minerals, lively acidity and nicely firm finish but it seemed a bit more simplistic than in many vintages and I feel that there was less Tuscan tang than often. A couple of extra years or so may add complexity. Good.

1995 Elio Altare Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (3/11/2015)
I detected more signs of decline than on a previous bottle a few years ago, e.g. a metallic touch on the nose and a varnish edge to the brightness of the fruit, but it remained a much lovelier drop than most technically immaculate wines. The aromas on the nose were of fine red fruit, especially raspberry, with some herbs and that intermittent metallic impression. The medium bodied palate was very expressive with still some bright primary fruit, some forest floor, still lively acidity, silky texture perhaps hardening somewhat, more herbs and touches of tar and leather. The aromas filled the mouth and lasted quite long with still some firmness on the finish. Very good.

2013 Domaine Les Patys, Thierry Delasalles, Ventoux - Aux racines du ciel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Ventoux (3/12/2015)
This is a very attractive Grenache dominated wine showing medium body, fine purity of fruit, a seductive mouth-feel and enough firmness on the finish. Delicious and generous now and I doubt if it will ever get better. Overpriced for the region at the caviste (c.€13) but good.

2001 Domaine de l'Oratoire St Martin Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne Haut-Coustias - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne (3/14/2015)
Haut-Coustias with its dominant Mourvèdre content has IMO distinction and class which is rare in the southern Rhône villages. At about the same age the 1998 had a sort of traditional Rioja-like charm minus the vanilla elements; medium bodied and classically shaped with round ripe cherry fruit with a kirsch backbone. This 2001 showed slightly more backbone than I recall from the 1998 but less roundness of fruit. Before and after food there was a slight alcohol burn (14.5%) on the finish but with food ("coq" au vin - was it rabbit? :? ) it disappeared. Very good.

2003 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/15/2015)
This is not what I want from a Saar Kabinett. Perhaps it was impossible to do anything else in torrid 2003 but the taste profile of this petrol infused rich wine was dominated by sugar with the usual Mosel region acidity right in the background and the finish had a dark warmth that I normally associate with wines much stronger than the 10% announced here. It was not a good pairing for an uncomplicated fish dish. Good wine, I guess, in the right gastronomic place but I'm not sure what that is.

Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN:Barolo Altare,Müller 03,fine Cairanne,pretty Ventoux

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:25 am

LOL, was it chicken or rabbit!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN:Barolo Altare,Müller 03,fine Cairanne,pretty Ventoux

by Tim York » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:LOL, was it chicken or rabbit!

From the look of the bones and the firmness of the flesh, it was rabbit. We bought it ready to warm up from a delicatessen. Nothing wrong with rabbit for me, though some people don't like eating sweet bunnies.
Tim York