The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cooler temperature

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JamesB

Rank

Just got here

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Oxford UK

Cooler temperature

by JamesB » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:22 am

Hi - just bought a wine cooler - a Samsung RW13 - that has red wine setting 13C, white wine setting 7C and custom 4C upwards.
Whats your ideal wine temperature?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Cooler temperature

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:37 am

I store all my wines at about 55 degrees F (13 C) in a passive cellar. I serve my reds in the mid 60s (16-17 C) and my whites at arond 45F ( 6-7 C). It seems easy for me to remember 55, 65, and 45.
I see you are in the UK - last Christmas my family was in London for the holiday and started 2006 there. As we sat around the table yesterday, we had many great memories - ending with dinner at a place called Motcombs (sp?) Very very nice and a good wine list.
Happy New Year.
JP
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:37 pm

My cooler is set at 55. Contains both reds and whites. For whites, I typically remove and open just before serving. With reds, which I may decant an hour beforehand, I may put the decanter in a regular refrigerator about 15 minutes before serving to get the temp back down to cellar levels. If I want a white to be a little cooler, I'll do the same.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:29 pm

My active temperature control wine cellar is set for 56 degrees F, meaning that the cooling unit switches on if the temperature exceeds 57 degrees, and shuts off when it goes below 56. I've been using this system for 15 years, and it seems to work out just fine.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

JamesB

Rank

Just got here

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Oxford UK

by JamesB » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:34 am

Motcombs.. glad you enjoyed it .. what a coincidence.. someone recommended that place to me a few months back and we plan to visit in 2007.
Thanks for the temperature recommendations guys

J