The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A present for PaulB -- Gaiter and Brecher on Norton.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

A present for PaulB -- Gaiter and Brecher on Norton.

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:52 pm

The Norton Grape

Our retirement club went wine tasting in Virginia this week. The featured wine was made from the Norton grape, one I had never heard of. It is a native U.S. grape that is not foxy. Have you heard of it?

--Bob Youker, Bethesda, Md.

Norton is one of the most highly regarded of uniquely American grapes. Dr. Daniel Norton developed it in the 1820s on his farm in Richmond, Va. Norton is a full-flavored red wine (sometimes called Cynthiana) that goes well with roasted meats and rich vegetable dishes. Quite a few wineries make Norton, from Horton Vineyards in Virginia to Stone Hill Winery in Missouri (in fact, Norton is the state grape of Missouri). If you see one, it's definitely worth a try. And if you'd like to know a lot more about Norton, check out the research on the Web site of Chateau Z Vineyard ( http://chateau-z.com/ ). For readers who are unfamiliar with the term "foxy," it's often used to describe the way many native American grapes smell and taste, a sort of fruity muskiness. It's hard to describe what "foxy" really means, but if you think about the way Concord grapes smell and taste, that's foxy.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: A present for PaulB -- Gaiter and Brecher on Norton.

by Paul B. » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:01 pm

Bob, many thanks for this post. As you know, I am indeed a fan of Eastern America's True Red Wine Grape, and all things Norton/Cynthiana hold interest for me.

I am quite familiar with the Chateau-Z website - that is an excellent venture and I am in full agreement with the philosophy stated therein, especially where it predicts that one day the use of pesticides might become either health- or cost-prohibitive and then people will have a reason to look to our native grapes and native hybrids for the answer to a home-grown wine culture.

As an aside, I hope that all who are celebrating Christmas have a blessed holiday. My best wishes to everyone.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca