The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Older Calif Syrahs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Older Calif Syrahs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:54 am

We had last night (6/17/15) Some Rhones from the Archives:
1. SierraVista Syrah ElDorado (12.5%) 1987: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; some herbal/earthy rather cedary/
pencilly/oldRed slight blackberry/Syrah bit mushroomy some complex nose; soft rather cedary/pencilly/tobaccoy/
oldRed slight coffee/blackberry/Syrah flavor w/ light/smooth tannins; med.long some earthy/mushroome/ElDorado
rather pencilly/tobaccoy/oldRed slight blackberry/Syrah/coffee/roasted finish w/ light tannins; speaks quietly
of ElDorado red and Syrah and still hanging on and rather pleasurable.
a sherry because of the bitterness.
in surprisingly good condition and some like an old CdR Syrah.
of Syrah but a wine that speaks barely in a whisper. $27.00
Rhonish/coffee/smokey/pungent slight blackberry/Syrah/peppery/spicy complex finish w/ light gentle tannins;
not a profound Syrah but a very nice/attractive little old lady fading into the sunset w/ still a little
piss&vinegar left in her. $26.00 (SWC)
flavor w/ light/smooth tannins; very long/lingering very Rhonish/roasted/smokey/espresso/smoked meats some
peppery/blackberry/Syrah quite complex finish w/ light tangy tannins; a classic example of fully mature
EdStJ Syrah that still has fruit left; some like an old Clape Cornas; a beautiful old Syrah and best of this
bunch. $28.00
tart/metallic/acrid (that clears w/ time) light roasted/Rhonish/smokey/pungent some earthy/dusty bit complex
flavor w/ light/gentle tannins; med.long light roasted/Rhonish/smokey/coffee flavor w/ light/smooth tannins;
not much fruit left but quite a pleasant oldRhone/smokey Syrah in the twilight of its yrs.
fur some cedary/pencilly/smokey/oldRhone/coffee complex flavor w/ light/smooth tannins; the funky character
eventually clears to a smooth/gentle strawberry/oldRhone character.
pencilly quite complex finish w/ light/smooth tannins; shows the best development of all these relics; quite an
interesting/complex oldRhone. $14.00 (Arg)
side; pleasant enough but a bit on the tired side.
12. AlbanVnyds Syrah Reva AlbanEstate/EdnaVlly (13%) 1993: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; some blackberry/Syrah
rather toasty/charred/burnt/oak slight earthy slightly complex nose; bit tart rather smokey/toasty/charred/oak
light blackberry/Syrah flavor w/ light/bitey tannins; med.long strong burnt/charred/toasty/oak some blackberry/
Syrah w/ light tannins; still has plenty of fruit but not showing much evolution nor complexity; starting to
dry out a bit and may never become a great Syrah.
very ripe/boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/blackberry liquer/framboise rather charred/toasty/oak very extracted/
structured flavor w/ modest ripe/lush tannins; very long very intense very ripe boysenberry/framboise/
blackberry/Syrah/licorice quite charred/burnt/toasty/oak finish w/ some very ripe/lush tannins; huge extract
and very structured so not a fruit bomb; an awesome wine for its size; my favorite of the Albans. $73.50
hot/alcoholic/fumey flavor w/ massive/extracted tannins; very long/lingering very ripe/late harvesty/chocolatey
somewhat fumey/alcoholic very intense boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/licorice very strong toasty/charred/burnt/
Fr.oak finish w/ huge tannins; a bit more interest than the Lorraine but a bit over-the-top; an awesome wine
w/ huge intensity & extraction; to be taken in small doses. $93.50
smokey bit unclean/bretty finish w/ light/dried-out tannins; no fruit left and a big disappointment for an
Hermitage that should still be alive.
____________________________________________________________________________________
The usual stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Phelps: JosephPhelps was, of course, the one who started it all, with their '73 Syrah, made from badly
virused ChristianBros Syrah grapes the Joe turned up just afore it was ripped out. Made by WalterShug much
like a Calif PinotNoir w/ loads of charred/toasty oak. The wine was not very good, spoke little of Syrah,
and probably set back the Calif Syrah market by 10 yrs.
This wine was a CraigWilliams wine made when they started labeling their Rhone wines Vin Du Mistral, both
a Syrah and a Viognier. The Viognier was always quite nice and made in a non-DP/leaner style. The Syrahs nothing
to get excited about. It always puzzled mme that why a wnry as good as JosephPhelps never did a better job
w/ Syrah. The only really great one I ever had was a special barrel blend of Syrah and Insignia made for the
NapaVllyAuction. The '86 Syrah was in much/much better condition than I expected it to be....not great but
some like an older CdR Syrah.
In 1992, ClarkeSwanson came along and bout the PhillipsVnyd out from under Sean, and started making their
on Syrah. It, too, always had a hint of eucalyptus to it. They eventually paid the neighbor to take down
that stand of eucalyptus. Thru the '90's, MarcoCapelli made some outstanding Syrahs. They eventually pulled
out that old-vine Syrah at Phillips and planted...gack....Merlot. End of Swanson Syrahs. Too bad.
So this '93 was the first Swanson Syrah. I first tasted it at the Aspen F&W Festival and was blown away
by it. I was expecting great things from this btl. Alas...it spoke in such a whisperr, you could barely find
anything in the wine.
nobody visiting his table. It was John and we had a very long chat on Rhone varietals. I was quite struck by
his passion for what he was doing. It was the start of a long friendship. The wines were not particularly
good. The '93 Viognier was way over-oaked w/ burnt Fr.oak. The Syrah was rather similar in style, not particularly
big or much Syrah fruit. But I was struck by his passion. It was not until the '95 vintage that John started
to make huge, alcoholic, extracted, oaky, reduced Syrahs that sorta has become his signature style.
I made a bunch of visits to Alban in the '90's. It was here that I first met ManfredKrankl, making his wine
at John's while he was still at Campanile and driving LaBreaBakery to success down in LosAngeles. Well before
his discovery by Parker. It was here that I also first met AugieHug, who was making wine there at John's. One
went on to fame & fortune, the other sorta fading into the woodwork, hobbled by his mediocre bowling skills.
I don't follow the Alban wines much anymore. I'll occasionally try the Patina Syrah or the CentralCoast Viognier,
but that's about it. After I bought these '02 Syrahs about 2004, I was tossed off the Alban mailing list. I had
sent in my check for the latest release and, alas, it arrived two days late, was returned to me, and I was
dropped from the list by Glenn. Not much of a way to treat a customer who'd followed you from the very start.
A few yrs later, John asked me at HdR why I didn't buy his wines anymore. I explained the situation and John assured
me he'd be glad to put me back at the head of the list. I quietly demurred, explaining that the demand for his
wines, driven by big scores out of Monktown, was so great that there were others out there far more deserving
of his wines than I. The real reason was the rapacious manner that I felt John was running the business. Rentless
price increases driven by the claims of tiny yields, very high shipping costs, bundling the wines so you had to
buy a bunch of the entry-level wines to get a btl of the treasured stuff, etc. I would usually try the Alban wines
at HdR, but you had to move fast. They would only bring a few btls of their highly sought-after wines, pour
until they were gone, usually in the first hour, and then close up shop....not very good form, I thought.
So....I don't try the Alban wines much anymore. Too bad, because I really liked them a lot...world-class wines.
But, then, I don't drink ScreamingEagle nor RomaneeConti anymore, either. I am such a loser when it comes to wine.
Given the background of the '93 Reva (John's Mom...an absolutely charming lady), I did not have high expectations
for this wine. I expected it to be rather charmless and on its last legs. It was not...it was still very much alive.
OTOH...it had not developed much in the way of complexity you find in an EdmundsStJohn or Qupe or Jaffurs or
Ojai or Novy. It was just sorta in a state of suspended animation, not losing a lot of fruit or anything, just
dropping a bit of tannin. I've no idea how long it'll continue that trend. Maybe it'll just fall over the cliff.
I think one of the big attractions of the Alban reds, especially back in Monktown, is, when you try them, you
just stand in awe of the intensity and level of extraction they show. Sorta like going down to the local gymn
and viewing some of those bodybuilders with their glistening/bronzed bodies, six-pac abs, bulging pects and
biceps. You're in awe of what they've constructed w/ their bodies, but not sure you'd wanta sit down w/ them
and discuss the nuances of the Higgs' Bosun over a mug of beer. That would be the Albans. I don't think I've ever
had one that developed the nuance & complexity of a Qupe or EdmundsStJohn, but you still look at them in awe.
Syrah from lesser barrels.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Second ZacaMesa

by TomHill » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 am

TomHill wrote:We had last night (6/17/15) Some Rhones from the Archives:

2. ZacaMesa Syrah ChapelVnyd/SBC (13.5%) 1993: Light reddish/brown color; strong oxidized/maderized/sherry earthy/
tired nose; quite bitter/metallic/tired/oxidized/sherry flavor w/ no tannins; very long oxidized/sherry/tired
very bitter finish w/ strong wet dog fur far in the aftertaste; pretty much dead & gone and not even good as
a sherry because of the bitterness.

Found a 2'nd btl last night that I tried:
ZacaMesa Syrah ChapelVnyd/SBC (13.5%) 1993: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; rather cedary/pencilly/oldRed/smokey some blackberry/Syrah slight Rhonish/roasted nose; bit tart very cedary/pencilly/tobaccoy/oldRed some blackberry/Syrah/spicy fairly complex/oldRhone flavor w/ light slight bitey tannins; very long strong cedary/tobaccoy/oldRed some blackberry/Syrah fairly complex finish w/ light/drying tannins; still had a lot of fruit for a 20+ yr old Syrah; starting to dry out a bit but still a pleasure to drink.
1. Both of these wines were stored side-by-side in the same box, standing upright, for some 20 yrs. Both corks were solidly planted in the btl w/ no signs of drying out or shrinkage. But they were vastly different wines. Go figure.
Tom