The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2010 Qupe Syrah 'Sonnie's'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2010 Qupe Syrah 'Sonnie's'

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:08 pm

2010 Qupé Syrah Sonnie's Sawyer Lindquist Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (6/29/2015)
Well this is a bit of a shock to the system. It is a big wine. There is a lot of everything. I normally do not go for that. In this case I am in for a big benefit of the doubt because the elements all seem to be in balance. They are just big elements. Herbal, roasted meat and blackberry flavors all come through, and there is structure that balances the forward flavors. There's no excess heat. I think I will let the rest of my bottles sit a few years and see where it goes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2010 Qupé Syrah Sonnie's Sawyer Lindquist Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (6/29/2015)
Well this is a bit of a shock to the system. It is a big wine. There is a lot of everything. I normally do not go for that. In this case I am in for a big benefit of the doubt because the elements all seem to be in balance. They are just big elements. Herbal, roasted meat and blackberry flavors all come through, and there is structure that balances the forward flavors. There's no excess heat. I think I will let the rest of my bottles sit a few years and see where it goes.

Yup, David...that Sonnie's to a T. It's not as big as the XBlock or HillsideReserve...but it's big for a Qupe.
Lots of things going on in it and the balance and acidity will carry that wine out 15-20 yrs.

But it's not nearly as big as the guy across the street makes...JohnAlban.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2010 Qupe Syrah 'Sonnie's'

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Yeah, thankfully it never comes anywhere near the Alban/Saxum level of richness. Those wines are beyond my tolerance.
Decisions are made by those who show up