The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2014 Idlewild Arneis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2014 Idlewild Arneis

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:53 pm

2014 Idlewild Arneis Fox Hill Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (7/8/2015)
Dry yet extremely fruity. This was a hit with knowledgable wine enthusiasts and casual drinkers as well. It was hard to share this because it was so drinkable. Affordable and refreshing, this is just about all I could ask for.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:55 am

Yup, David...had this a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes you just want something that's lip-smackin' good.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2014 Idlewild Arneis

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Sounds good. See this is available at a store near Grand Central, may stop by next time I'm early for a train
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Love seeing this grape coming out of California these days. Had a terrific version from Palmina over the weekend.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:18 pm

Jenise wrote:Love seeing this grape coming out of California these days. Had a terrific version from Palmina over the weekend.

Well, Jenise...it's not like I know anything about US Nebbiolo, but..... :roll:

The Idlewild is outstanding and most people at the NEB#5 public tasting thought it was the most European
of those Nebbs. Not sure if that's a compliment or not, though.

I like the Palminas as well, though not as well as some of the others. And they're waaay too expensive.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Uh...Tom...this is the Arneis thread. :wink:
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Doh.....

by TomHill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Uh...Tom...this is the Arneis thread. :wink:

Doh.....you're right, David. Whatta doofus. You post too many Idlewild TN's.

Try again.....

Jenise,
The Idlewild Arneis is world-class....as good as anything as you kind find from Piemonte I think.
It has powerful aromatics, but still that underlying stony/mineral you expect from Arneis. I think it's
much better than the Palmina rendition. Though I haven't had the Palmina in several yrs.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:31 pm

I look forward to trying Idlewild wines some day. But the Palmina was quite respectable--this is the first I've had of theirs, but it had excellent minerality and good fruit without being fruit-forward or chardonnay-ish. Honestly, quite Italian. I haven't followed them at all, but if it's been a few years since you had one I think you'd be impressed with this.

For comparison, we also had a glass of Gruner from another Santa Barbara-Lompoc-ish winery I was previously unfamiliar with, not Terlato but it started with a 't', ended with an 'o' I'm pretty sure, and was three syllables. So much acidity it practically screamed and not enough fruit to carry it--more like verdicchio than gruner. You'd never mistake it for Austrian.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well....

by TomHill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I look forward to trying Idlewild wines some day. But the Palmina was quite respectable--this is the first I've had of theirs, but it had excellent minerality and good fruit without being fruit-forward or chardonnay-ish. Honestly, quite Italian. I haven't followed them at all, but if it's been a few years since you had one I think you'd be impressed with this.

For comparison, we also had a glass of Gruner from another Santa Barbara-Lompoc-ish winery I was previously unfamiliar with, not Terlato but it started with a 't', ended with an 'o' I'm pretty sure, and was three syllables. So much acidity it practically screamed and not enough fruit to carry it--more like verdicchio than gruner. You'd never mistake it for Austrian.

Well, Jenise that Nebbiolo....ooopps...wrong thread again. :lol:

I take it that is supposed to be a compliment??? I think the Idlewild is a world-class Arneis because it has a richness & texture and powerful aromatics that you don't (often) get from Piemonte, plus that underlying mineral/stoniness you find typical in Arneis.
Of course....if you think great Arneis are only those thin/mean/eviscerated/panty-waist one from Piemonte, then the Idlewild is not your cupa tea!! :roll:

The SBC Gruner you had was the Tatomer. The last version had a screechy acidity to it...sorta like ClareVlly Riesling...but I think it'll be pretty interesting in 4-5 yrs. It's not quite as good as the Solminer GV and not nearly as good at the Carlisle.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:11 pm

I am eager to try the Idylwilde also.

Have been enjoying for a couple of vintages the CAMPO VIDA Arneis out of Mendocino County (the winery is in Hopland). Not enoguh experience to compare the wines, but I also got lovely minerality with some rich fruit from that wine as well.

For Bay Area folks, they have a tasting room on Linden Street in the industrial belt off Third Street between Downtown and West Oakland BART. Linden Street Brewery is their co-tennant.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

In the context of this Arneis, what does "affordable" mean?

In other words, what's the price?

It doesn't exist in the market I'm in, which is not unusual, but extremely annoying.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:29 am

$30

But then I live the life of double income, no kids, so my affordable is someone else's special occasion bottle.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:07 pm

On the Idlewild theme, I've been enjoying their Valdiguie the last few days, a good summer red.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:On the Idlewild theme, I've been enjoying their Valdiguie the last few days, a good summer red.
Mark Lipton

Yup, Mark...sometimes you just want something that's lip-smackin' good. The Valdigue fills the bill.
And EdStJ Bone-Jolly likewise.
Tom