The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2012 Leonard Oakes Vignoles Reserve

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: 2012 Leonard Oakes Vignoles Reserve

by Howie Hart » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:47 am

Leonard Oakes is one of my favorite local wineries. The farm was originally mostly apple orchards, started in the 1880s by Leonard Oakes. It has remained in the family and the winemaker is Jonathan Oakes, a fine young man I've come to befriend. He apprenticed at a couple of Canadian wineries and studied over there. They still grow a lot of apples and make award winning hard cider under the name Steampunk. Vignoles is perhaps my favorite white hybrid. I used to make it back in the 1980s, but my source tore out the vines. This is a great example of the wine in a drier style and 2012 was a very good growing year in the area. Light straw, with a bit of spritz. Melons and pineapple on the nose. Full, long finish with modest acidity and just a touch of astringency, balanced by a bit of RS (less than 1%). Very enjoyable. I opened this during Wednesday night's wine chat, with cheese & crackers. $15 at the winery.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.