The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

It continues with a wonderful Rayas 1992 and Salon 1995 in magnum

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

It continues with a wonderful Rayas 1992 and Salon 1995 in magnum

by François Audouze » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:41 pm

On December 30, we go to the restaurant of Yvan Roux, facing the sea, with a magnificent view on islands, and a fight between shadow and light, the sun wanting to push the clouds to let appear the glory of its light.

One a delicious pata negra jabugo, a champagne Laurent Perrier Grand Siècle is excited and its romantic bubble thrills with it. Then some prawns cooked in boiled garlic give another aspect of this delicious champagne. As we were thirsty, we ask for another bottle of Grand Siècle to savour a “brouillade d’oursins”, scrambled eggs with urchins. Fantastic combination, as the salt was exactly as it should be.

We have then some squids cooked with a perfume of pata negra on the remaining of the Vacqueyras 1970 which has gained weight with one night of oxygen.

Then we have some “cigalons”, which are some small “cigales de mer”, but will never grow, exactly as shrimps will never become lobster. These small animals have a meat of an incredible intensity which makes a combination of a great purity with a Château Rayas red 1992 which is absolutely perfect. I would say that 1992 is an optimal year for Rayas. It is a period when Rayas was made with no pretending and with an exactitude which deserves respect.

And on the meat of a pink sea bream with great eyes, a bream which lives by minus 300 metres and eats prawns, the Rayas attains a perfection which is an ultimate pleasure.

On a dessert with boiling chocolate designed on a recipe of Michel Bras, the Maury Mas Amiel cuvée Charles Dupuy 1998 is a pure delight, beginning with a taste of raspberry, and going smoothly to a taste of blackberry and mulberry.

The real question is : will we survive to the preparations of New Year’s Eve ?
Last edited by François Audouze on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

Re: It continues with a wonderful Rayas 1992

by François Audouze » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:54 pm

For the dinner, we had some pressed eggs of fish, very dry, to prepare our mouths, and I opened a magnum of champagne Salon 1995. When I open a magnum of Salon, I have the same emotion as a collector of stamps who would take in hand one of his precious and rare exemplars. It is not neutral for me.

We began the dinner with a heavy soup of lentils in which an army of slices of white truffles were swimming. And it was delicious. And the champagne, which is still very classical, due to its age, was happy with the strong trace of the white truffle.

Then as a yin and a yang, as a black and white, we had one of the best and easy recipes of my wife, taken from the emperor of the black truffle : Bruno, which is a huge potato with a lot of cream and slices of black truffle. This is absolutely great and makes shine the black truffle whose taste remains in mouth for ever. And the Salon is marvellously adapted to this black truffle.

I consider the Salon 1995 as very young for the moment, ready to have a positive evolution to look like the 1976. Not the most emotional Salon, but a solid one.

We had some sweet “mignardises” to finish the Salon. The format of magnum is obviously the most adapted to enjoy champagne.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:27 pm

Along with Bonneau's Celestins, Rayas is the only other exceptional 92 CdP that I've had. For the most part, I avoided 92 CdP. Have you (or anyone here?) had another 92 CdP worth mentioning?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:31 am

Bernard Roth wrote:Along with Bonneau's Celestins, Rayas is the only other exceptional 92 CdP that I've had. For the most part, I avoided 92 CdP. Have you (or anyone here?) had another 92 CdP worth mentioning?

No, but I have had some unmentionable ones. :(

-Paul W.