The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Lovely Event at Laurel Glen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: A Lovely Event at Laurel Glen

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:15 am

Bettina Sichel hosted their club at Laurel Glen on Sunday, and it was a lovely event! We were able to go up to the vineyard (amazing views 1000 feet above Glen Ellen), guessed the brix level from the remaining unharvested block, some brave souls tried their hands at grafting cabernet shoots on new rootstock, and had a lovely buffet lunch.

But, the wines!

2014 Counterpoint Sauvignon Blanc. An "experiment" but a very nice one. A hint of tropicality, but also very lithe with good acidity. No obnoxious grassiness. I really enjoyed this wine! And I think everyone did!

2011 Laurel Glen Cabernet. Under the new winemaker and regime. This may reflect the chilly year, but this wine was amazing Bordeauxish and is developing amazingly since I first tasted it a few months ago. Dark fruit, earth, a core of lovely acidity. Randall Watkins is definitely carrying forth the tradition of Laurel Glen! As young as it was (and factoring in QPR) this was actually my wine of the day!

2007 Laurel Glen Cabernet. A warm year wine. Still very primary-blazing red and black fruit, but not in a jammy California way really. Despite being so primary, the wine still has this old world character to it that I loved.

1997 Laurel Glen Cabernet. Lovely, soft, warm mature cabernet with plenty of secondary flavors. Some bricking in the color, so ready to drink now. Given a Lottery ticket win, I would definitely buy this. Given my mid-level civil servant pay grade, I'll just stay with the 2007 and the 2011. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach