The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2008 Louis Boillot Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2008 Louis Boillot Dinner

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 am

Last night a local restaurant and wine shop organized a dinner around the 2008 vintage of Louis Boillot.

We started with 2013 Bachelet-Monnot Chassagne-Montrachet, which was lovely bright focused and floral, and definitely benefited from time to warm up in the glass. Although our host seemed more excited about it than I was, probably because he is more interested in White Burgundy than I am.

Then we moved to 2008 Boillot Gevrey Les Evocelles, which was a bit chunky and blocky compared to the wines that followed. But it was a frank expression and has a place in this world.

The 2008 Boillot Volnay Les Brouillards was lovely. The firm suave grip that I'm slowly understanding as a feature of this wine across vintages. But the structure is not stern, it is suave and seductive and reminds you that it is Volnay.

The apex was 2008 Boillot Gevrey Les Champonnets, which was the finest of the trio, with such clarity of flavors and textures, but still retaining integrity and presence. It is also worth noting that this was deemed a perfect match for the accompanying course of lamb with spaetzle. Being a non-lamb eater, I was served a delicious fish dish. But my nearby dining companions took such pity on me for having a less-than-perfect pairing that they strongly encouraged me to try to spaetzle, and I too could (briefly) share in their revelry.

I came into the dinner optimistically suspicious about how the wines would show, having had mixed results with 08s recently. The wines did move around a bit over time in the glass, so clearly they are not singing and open for business. But, there is pleasure to be had. And we had pleasure.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2008 Louis Boillot Dinner

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Rahsaan, if you don't mind revealing the name of the restaurant, I would like to get on their email list if they intend to have wine dinners on a regular basis. If it was a one-time only thing, then I wouldn't necessarily want to get emails.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:09 pm

JC (NC) wrote:Rahsaan, if you don't mind revealing the name of the restaurant, I would like to get on their email list if they intend to have wine dinners on a regular basis. If it was a one-time only thing, then I wouldn't necessarily want to get emails.

It was Rue Cler but the wine dinners are organized by Cave Taureau. They do have them on a semi-regular basis (maybe once every other month) and usually the winemakers are present. They are often at Rue Cler but are also at other restaurants. The next one is a California producer (A Cote) and it will be at Piedmont Restaurant.

Anyway, if you are on the Cave Taureau email list you will get all the info.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks. I will subscribe to the Cave Taureau email.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 pm

Sounds like an excellent lineup. I like L Boillot, though we don't see that often here
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I like L Boillot, though we don't see that often here

Very small production. You probably know that Louis had to split the property with his brother Pierre (of Lucien Boillot). So for most of the vineyards they each have well less than 1 hectare. I can't remember tasting the Lucien Boillot wines, but now that I'm getting more into Louis it would be interesting to do some comparisons.