The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Getting rid of wine spilt in car smell?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Getting rid of wine spilt in car smell?

by Sue Courtney » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:53 am

Has anyone had any experience with getting the smell of spilt wine out of a car?

I had my sisters around to taste some wine with me last night and gave them partially consumed bottles to take home, including the rather tasty though controversially named Jacobs Creek Reserve Prosecco NV - whether the Aussies should be using the Prosecco name is a different debate although the grapes used in the wine are prosecco a.k.a. glera. Anyway, I bunged a cork in the bottle instead of putting on a proper champagne stopper and the inevitable happened, the cork worked its way out on their journey home, releasing with a pop, and the contents of the bottle spilled out in the car.

There are heaps of solutions from google, but I want to know what actually works. Fortunately being prosecco, there is no horrible red wine stain to add to the dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

Sue
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Getting rid of wine spilt in car smell?

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Since it's getting close to Summer down there, I'd simply park the car in a sunny spot for a few hours with a window slightly cracked for a few hours (go shopping at the Mall). Then drive the car for a short while with all the windows open.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 pm

A sack with some activated charcoal might do the trick.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Don't know about smell, but presuming it's somewhat dry by now, I'd add small amounts of water and then blot, water then blot, water then blot, to try to remove the wine which has sugar and will darken and stain over time even if it doesn't show now. That would be my largest concern--smell will go away when the wine does.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov