The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NYE wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: NYE wines

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:36 pm

Saturday I made baked quail (I had brought a cooler back of frozen fish/birds from my brother). I opened the 2004 B. Ambroise Bourgogne rouge with this. Medium-bodied, cherry and black raspberry fruit, a little vanilla. Pleasant enough, if uninspiring. B/B-

I eyed the remaining red, but felt like something lighter, and switched to the 2005 Merkelbach Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Kabinett. This seems sweeter than true Kabinett, with spiced apple fruit accented by cherry/strawberry hints. A slatey mineral finish. Acidity is soft and round, I'd prefer a little more zip. Enjoyable, but I don't think I'll be back for more when I finish my second bottle. B

New Years Eve I decided not to party hop, but just to go to one nearby party. I made myself a small rack of lamb first, and opened the 1999 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux). Blackcurrant fruit, some cigarbox and earth after a while. Tannins are already resolved, drinking well and doubtful it'll get better. More of a workhorse claret than a championship steed, but good for what it is. B

I took the rest of the Tertre along with a couple other bottles and some finger foods to my sister-in-law's. Nice party, with some old friends and new people, and lots of spirited discussion. Nice selection of appetizers (I was especially enamored of some parmesan/spinach balls). The wines:

1998 Clavel Copa Santa
An old friend revisited. Ripe dark fruit still going strong, some cocoa and leather over the sweet fruit. Modern/international? Yes, but I like it. B+

2003 Kermit Lynch Cotes du Rhone

This isn't the hulking behemoth of some 2003 Southern Rhones, but I don't care much for it. Only medium-bodied, but with a bit of a sur-maturite note and a rather short finish. C+/B-

1997 Einaudi Barolo
One of my contributions, this made most people happy, but I wasn't totally thrilled. A little tight and tannic at first, but it opened quickly. Ripe red fruit, a little herb, just a hint of tar. Nice middle of the road Barolo. B/B+

2003 Sartarelli Verdicchio
I had my fears looking at the vintage, but this was quite nice. Good acidity considering a 2003, sweet apple fruit with a squirt of lemon, somewhat exotic nose of fennel and herbs. Moderate finish with a bitter almond note. B+

NV Gimmonet Blanc de Blancs
Much better than the last bottle I had of this, clean and steely with a fine mousse and nice finish. Very good bubbly. B+

NV Pol Roger Brut Champagne
Creamier, rounder, but just as good. Nose of fresh-baked biscuits and nice texture. B+

Nice way to enter new year if I had to be apart (other than a 12:01 phone call) from Betsy. Happy New Year all.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.