The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Thanksgiving dinner wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Thanksgiving dinner wines

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:34 pm

2009 Hirsch Vineyards Pinot Noir San Andreas Fault - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/26/2015)
Ripe red fruit, subtle earth and notable structure. This is a more stately Pinot than I normally get from California, and I like that. Gains fruit as it opens up, and drinks very well through dinner. Lots of upside given the level of fruit and structure.

2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/26/2015)
Compared to the Hirsch, this was leaner and even more focused on its structure. After it opened up some there was a greater depth of fruit and a clean earthiness that created a deep bass note. Long on the finish and showing excellent overall depth front to back, this continued to evolve over three hours and felt more (and I do not generally like this comparison) Burgundian. I wish I had more than a single remaining bottle to follow this, as it seems to have outstanding long-term potential.

NV H. Billiot Fils Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Ambonnay, Champagne (11/26/2015)
June 2011 disgorgement, and a few years of cellaring has been very rewarding. Shows lots of fresh apple fruit, yeast and light toast. The freshness is wonderful as an aperitif, and also cuts through the richness of the Thanksgiving meal.
Decisions are made by those who show up