The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two slovakian Tokaji

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

WTN: Two slovakian Tokaji

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 am

Tokaj 4 putnovy 1993, J.J.Ostrozovic
Copper colour, some green hues. Spicy nose with hints of marsipan, orange-peel, citrus, honey, old wood. Complex and typical. In the mouth this is not the most intence and powerful Tokaj with a little less sweetness than the what you normally find in Tokaj. Still a sweet wine with medium concentration of fine fruit. Quite pure and typical. A little rustic. Some evolvement in the fruit. Marsipan and orange-peel most obvious. Very high acidity. Cleansing and gives the wine a long citrusy finish. Fine Tokaj indeed, but perhaps a little smaller scaled than those from over the border.

Tokaj 6 putnovy 1993, J.J.Ostrozovic
Golden colour. Nose shows botrytis, caramel, orange spice and citrus. Sweet and fullbodied in the mouth. Yet a slimmer style of Tokaji here with higher acids. Quite elegant for 6 puttonyos. The fruit is typical, shows botrytis and some caramel. But more orange spice and citrus-notes on the palate. Long citrusy taste. A little rustic finish with some hints of old wood. A good Tokaj in a lighter style that is lacking a little in depth and complexity. Good.

Both these were decent examples of Tokaj. Although both were lighter than the norm you find in Hungary. Perhaps also a tad more citrus in these two and less botrytis.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: Two slovakian Tokaji

by Bill Hooper » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:15 pm

Thanks for the notes. I've read that ripeness is a problem with Slovakian Tokaji and that sites are geologically and climatically less than ideal. Regardless, I am very interested in tasting these wines and will make a point of searching them out the next time I'm over there. While Slovakia’s Chateau Bela also gets some pretty good exposure Stateside, I was wondering if you have any experience with Czech wines. I've never seen any, but understand that there are some vineyards in the south of the country (and I would imagine that originally there were some on the western border with Germany close to Dresden.)

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 pm

Yes, thank you for the notes. I believe that Tokaji is my favorite wine. Whenever I need to have a 'moment' by myself this is what I reach for. I'll see if I can turn them up here. They sound nice.

rwj
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:22 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Thanks for the notes. I've read that ripeness is a problem with Slovakian Tokaji and that sites are geologically and climatically less than ideal. Regardless, I am very interested in tasting these wines and will make a point of searching them out the next time I'm over there. While Slovakia’s Chateau Bela also gets some pretty good exposure Stateside, I was wondering if you have any experience with Czech wines. I've never seen any, but understand that there are some vineyards in the south of the country (and I would imagine that originally there were some on the western border with Germany close to Dresden.)

Prost!
Bill

Thanks for the reply. On czech wines, read this:

http://www.vinduet.org/MikulovVisit2006.html
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

Arnt,

Well done, and many thanks. You've now wet my appetite. Unfortunately, this means I need to sit down and do some drinking as well as travel planning :D .

Thanks Again,
Bill