The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thanksgiving! What was your wine of the day?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Thanksgiving! What was your wine of the day?

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:29 am

winefeast.jpg

I have to confess that yesterday wasn't a wine-geek day for me ... I poured at a midday community dinner where the wines du jour were magnums of Yellowtail and Woodbridge (don't judge), then out to dinner with friends who aren't really wine geeks, and took a modest French Pinot (Domaine de Bachellery 2013 Pays d'Oc) to enjoy with food.

The friends, food and sharing were all Thanksgiving fine, but now I'm looking for some vicarious enjoyment. Tell us about your wines of the day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Thanksgiving! What was your wine of the day?

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:03 am

We had three really good wines, but the turkey took WOTD honors.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:[ I poured at a midday community dinner where the wines du jour were magnums of Yellowtail and Woodbridge (don't judge)...

I think I can top you: boxed Bota shiraz! Just for the white trailer trash in-laws, of course *cough* :lol:

That was just for standin' around drinkin'. At dinner we had the one wine my wife always insists accompany roast turkey: Trimbach gewurz. She loved it, so I loved it.

And FWIW, my turkey was better than all yers :mrgreen:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:25 pm

I have always been of the mind that on Thanksgiving, primarily due to the cacophony of the food on the table, and the fact that my relatives drink wine but are largely undiscriminating in what they drink, I almost never serve the blockbuster wine. And certainly don't make choices to impress. Rather I look for true table wines, wines that are accomodating and fresh and lively, with just enough complexity to be interesting.

So this year it was

Can Feixes Blanco Sellecion, Penedes, 2013, an absolutely charming, gentle Catalonian white blend with just the lightest touch of muscat-like pungency. Quietly and serenely perfect companion with the food.

Lorene Horse Heaven Hills Pinot Gris 2014; rather impressive, actually; a light-skin-contact PG, as the Italians sometime make, leaving it with a little brassy color and giving it an extra weight and expression. Not orange, but more than most bland nothings that Pinot Grigio can and does do. Satisfied the two PG drinkers, while upping their game just a little bit more than they expected; they were quite pleased, and I didn't have to winesplain a single word. :D For which we were all relieved.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Further thought (and eating) led me to the realization that the "wine" of the day was the Eagle Rare 10 Year Old Bourbon that I drank with some after dinner cookies.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:06 pm

2011 Tobin James, Fat Boy, Zinfandel; once again a great Thanksgiving wine; along with a 2012 TJ Ballistic Zin. Both wonderful as was the dinner.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:07 pm

probably a tie, '97 Kalin DD PN and '13 Foillard Cote dPy
Foodwise I was only responsible for oyster dressing and carrots w/cumin-turmeric, but happy with both
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:27 pm

We had dinner as usual with the David's at their home in St Helena. We drank the usual eclectic group of good Napa & Sonoma wines but there was one that really stood out. Believe it or not our host opened a bottle of 1995 Kalin chard just to see what had happened and lo & behold it was absolutely delicious. This 20 year chard was a little familiar to an older white burg but richer and heavier in a good way on the palate. I know Hoke would have got a kick out of this bottle while explaining that this wine's deliciousness was due to the Sonoma appellation. Karen MacNeil was present as usual at this dinner and was also impressed which I know will make Hoke happy.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:14 pm

I opened two wines described under the wine focus for November. The 2009 Cote de Brouilly was my favorite although the 2011 Keller Riesling Trocken was also very nice.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:54 pm

The 2012 Forge Finger Lakes Pinot Noir was lovely. Fairly light colored, with a delightful nose and a unified, sophisticated profile. Not an over-extracted, alcoholic thing like the Santa Barbara PN I just tried down at the local wine shop!
Last edited by Joe Moryl on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:10 am

I opened the 2012 Dom. Ehrhart Pinot Auxerrois and the 2004 Rioja (see note posted above). The Alsatian white was quite nice with light smokeyness and spiced pear. Very nearly dry. As with Dale, my only contribution to the feast was scalloped oysters.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:48 pm

Posted in a different post, but my three (over two days) were the 2004 Everham Ridge Pinot Noir, the 2005 Laurel Glen Cabernet (with lamb) and the 2009 Corison Kronos. The Kronos was probably my wine of the month, if not longer!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach