The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Janet's 50th Birthday Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Janet's 50th Birthday Dinner

by David Lole » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:41 pm

The good wife turned fifty yesterday and the immediate family and a few friends gathered at the local Turkish Pide restaurant for a lovely (and just so inexpensive) degustation dinner last night. Incredible value for money and a top night was had by all.

Wines -

Pol Roger Vintage Brut 1996 - continues to shine, developing more complexity/weight as it ages on cork. Still fresh and delightfully complex with that vintage thumbprint of invigorating acidty. Finest of line in the mouth coupled with wonderful length. Long term cellaring prospect. 94

Joseph Sparkling Shiraz (2006 Disg.) - read some negative reports from a couple of members of the SLDS recently - this most recent disgorgement displays a remarkably deep magenta colour, incredibly fine, active streams of bubbles and is bursting with bucketloads of "sweet" creamy plum and spicy blackberry fruit. The addition of some very old base material delivers deft counterbalancing touches of leather and sweet earth on a profoundly good long, mouthfilling departure. Top Class! 93

Freycinet Chardonnay 2005 (screwcap) - A wonderful example of vibrant, cool climate, restrained Chardonnay with the most delectable pear drop, melon and gentle stone fruits with, seemingly, very understated creamy oak. A whisk of meal and crispy bacon add credence to a drop-dead gorgeous palate. One of the most attractive young Chardonnay's I've had the pleasure of drinking over the last several years. Very good cellaring potential but will be difficult for me to keep my hands off this corker in the meantime. 93

Lillydale Estate (Yarra Valley Vineyards) Chardonnay 2005 - Remarkable quality for the price! Winner of the Best Wine (repeat WINE!) at the recent National Wine Show in Canberra, this is a seriously well crafted Chardonnay with more than a hint of "Chablis" in its formulation. Steely with a distinct minerality vein running throughout a long and tight palate, this belter harbours some impressive "Burgundian" complexity over delicate fig and white peach/nectarine fruit. Snapped up a case of this without thinking twice. Excellent mid-term cellaring potential. 92

Lindemans Coonawarra Sesquicentenary Cabernet Sauvignon 1990 (Magnum) - down to my last half dozen or so of these - stunning mature Australian Classic drinking at its absolute peak but should hold for several more years - vibrant ruby colour with some bricking in the edges, exquisite bouquet of dusty blackcurrants, regional mint, saddle leather, French herbs, sandalwood, leafy greens, earthy morello's, cigar box and beautifully integrated, spicy French oak. A veritable smorgasboard of definitive varietal characteristics can be found on a silky, gorgeously balanced palate. Without a doubt one of Greg Clayfield's best ever results. Such harmony, elegance combined with poise, personality and pizzaz! Add impeccable softening, refreshing acidity and fluffy, mature tannins, this wine stands head and shoulders above just about any 1990 Coonawarra red I can recall (including the supposedly brilliant 90A and 920)! 95

Morris Old Premium Liquer Tokay 500 ml - another recent trophy winner at Canberra, this increible old wine displays a deep mahogany/brown/khaki colour, sublime aromatics of treacle, toffee, honey, dusty old oak, cold black tea intertwined with perplexing volatile, rancio and nutty esters only found in the oldest and best blends of this wine style. Thick and unctious on the palate with amazing concentration and abundance of nuance (aka the nose) with a breathtaking texture Wonderful cutting acidity and astringency holding everything together on a finish to die for. 96 and WOTN (just pipping the exceptional Lindies)
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: Janet's 50th Birthday Dinner

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:41 pm

SLDS - is that a slip of the 4th left finger?
I love the sound of the Freycinet. The way you describe it, it could be a Kumeu River from Auckland. In fact, they could make an interesting comparison.
Would love to know what food you paired to these wines.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:11 pm

David Lole wrote:The good wife turned fifty yesterday

Sounds like quite the occasion, David, and you certainly marked the event in high style! Like Sue, I'd love to hear about some of the dishes and how they paired with the wines.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:SLDS - is that a slip of the 4th left finger?
I love the sound of the Freycinet. The way you describe it, it could be a Kumeu River from Auckland. In fact, they could make an interesting comparison.
Would love to know what food you paired to these wines.
Cheers,
Sue

SLDS = Sydney Label Drinkers Society :lol:

Unfortunately didn't get a chance to pair the food to the wine, so I did it the other way round.

We were served -

Chickpea, beetroot, carrot, eggplant and cucumber dips with fresh Turkish bread.

Zucchini balls served with a garlic/yoghurt sauce

Feta and spinach rolls (deep fried in a filo pastry)

Chargrilled seafood platter of chilli calamari, marinated king prawns and atlantic salmon pieces

A medley of chargrilled chicken breast pieces, lamb kebabs and lamb cutlets

A variety of salads and rice with the mains

Home-made Turkish delights with coffee

Cost per person = $29.50
Cheers,

David