The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for April: Tempranillo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Wine Focus for April: Tempranillo

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Tempranillo! You may think of it as the iconic grape of Spain's Rioja, and Ribera del Duero, too, but it's also a workhorse in Portugal, and grown as a full-varietal wine here and there around the world. We'll examine it in any and all of its forms for this month's Wine Focus.

For a quick background here's a good summary of the grape from Wine-Searcher.com ...
http://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-483- ... g_site=WLP
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for April: Tempranillo

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:54 am

Here is a Tempranillo that I have been returning to the past year or so. Prices are very good for this Reserva, considering where I live!!

TN: 2005 Bodega Classico Rioja Hacienda Lopez de Haro Reserva.

Good natural cork, $19 Cdn (wow), serve slightly chilled, decant. Blend of 90% Tempranillo plus Graciano/Garnacha. 20 month oak age, more old-school/traditional Rioja.

Pale purple crimson rim with very slight bricking.Cedary spice nose, smoke, lots going on here. "Leather, not horse" from across the table.
Medium-bodied, still some tannins, lengthy. Herbs, pepper, fair acidity, fine focus here. Cherry, blackberry, think this one could use some time still? Fellow punter on UK forum mentioned "creamy and smooth". Ok, I can go with that!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:32 am

I find it difficult to get a handle on the taste of Tempranillo. This not only because of the effects of different terroirs, especially the climate effect, which affect all grape types but also, in Tempranillo’s case, because of the fact that it is almost invariably blended and is subjected to strong oak treatment in the most famous regions in which it is grown, notably Rioja and Ribeira del Duero. Unwooded Joven Rioja does exist but is not easy to find outside Spain.

Luckily we have had some good discussions about this on this board, of which I reproduce a sample below. Victor de la Serna’s contributions were especially entlightening.

April 2007
Following a post on an excellent CVNE Imperial Gran Reserva 1987, I wrote the following -

I guess that, like the Bordeaux varieties, Tempranillo needs a blend with other varieties for the best results and I picked up the following interesting comments on the role of Tempranillo in the blend from the site of Lopez Heredia (another producer of classical Rioja).

Tempranillo makes up 70-80% of the (Lopez H) blend. “A larger proportion of Tempranillo would produce heavier, thicker wines of deeper stronger colour and of rather uninteresting taste. The virtue of Mazuelo and , above all, Graciano is that they bring to the final product that fine sparkling ruby-red colour and that freshness vigour and personality which characterise the best table wine.”

July 2007
There was a 4 page thread entitled “Dose Tempranillo have a signature taste?” and here is Victor de la Serna’s admirable comment, which gave rise to quite some argument. The whole thread can be viewed here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9539&hilit=joe+perry

Interesting thread, this, but a frustrating one – it seems the final result is "there's no clearly recognizable feature in tempranillo."

To begin with, the title of the thread was "Does tempranillo have a signature taste?", not "Does tempranillo have a signature aroma?" Yet I see that several of the responses (like "i have never stuck my nose in one and said 'ah, tempranillo'") center on aromas, not flavors (which I guess is the more precise wine-related term for 'taste'). This is interesting and partly defines the problem.

Tempranillo is not an aromatic grape variety – far from it. That, and its notorious acid deficiency, are its main drawbacks. But it certainly isn't a flavorless variety. What happens is that many tasters instinctively rely on aromas to describe flavors – after all, many of the 'flavors' we perceive are really aromas that we capture through retro-olfaction (the wine-tasting action in which air is expelled through the nose while the wine is in the mouth in order to better appreciate certain aromas). But flavor and aroma are still not synonyms.

What happens with tempranillo is that its own delicate, slight aromas are easily overtaken by oak, be it new or relatively new, and we wind up not getting anything other than the oak and some vague fruit overtones. The new oak may also be prominent in the mouth, although the original flavors are more prevalent. Then, in 'traditional' Rioja wines – which are the vehicle through which 90% of international wine drinkers discover tempranillo – there are two other, important barriers: if it's a young wine, the tempranillo aromas will be overtaken by those of the other grapes in the usual blends (garnacha, mazuelo, graciano), and if it's an older wine the long aging in used American oak will have its usual effect: primary (fruit) aromas and flavors will be overcome by tertiary (aging) aromas and flavors, so that the cedar, vanilla, and coconut tones will be absolutely prevalent.

In parallel, the flavor also changes. Few unoaked tempranillos (often made through carbonic maceration of whole clusters in Rioja – the classic young 'cosecheros') ever make it to the US market. They show the primary flavors of tempranillo vividly: lots of ripe red berries (strawberries, raspberries, Morello cherries), some dark berries (blueberries, black currants, less frequently blackberries), with frequent notes of liquorice and, in southerly tempranillos, orange peel. No red currants or pepper as in the Bordeaux varieties; riper, less acidic and simultaneously more tannic than sangiovese.

In older wines, whatever the type of oak aging they have undergone (if it hasn't been totally invasive), tempranillo will take on its own tertiary characteristics that are independent of that oak – particularly, a soft tobacco leaf character that will accompany but not fully supersede the red fruit component.

October 2008

I asked for help about with my Tempranillo education. The discussion in response to my post is here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19539&hilit=tempranillo and my post follows -

I posted the following note a few weeks ago under a headline which included "oaky Tempranillo".

"I don’t know what I was thinking of when I bought a few bottles of Rioja 2006 – Bodegas Navajas – at a Spring tasting ; this wine is supposed to be drunk young but I found that its pretty fruit was now obscured by quite bitter notes of dry molasses and caramel towards the finish; it went badly with a mozzarella soufflé with ham and vegetables and curiously better after a cherry tart; 13.5/20 but will it balance better with some age? I wouldn’t count on it."

I was convinced that those notes of dry molasses and caramel came from liberal exposure to new American oak. In many other cases where I have met this, American oak ageing is announced. I was therefore surprised to learn from Gert, who sold me the wine, that this Rioja joven from Navajas saw at most one month in wood.

Should I conclude that tastes like this are inherent in young wines from Tempranillo regardless of the method of maturing?

I'm not sure if I can contribute fresh TNs to this thread as my cellar is nearly empty of Spanish wines and the availability for purchase here is negligible. I did, however, post within the last week a couple of TNs on fine Rioja under the heading “Easter Wines”.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Tim York wrote:Luckily we have had some good discussions about this on this board, of which I reproduce a sample below.

Thanks for digging that up and re-sharing it, Tim. Great context!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Sipping a 2001 Lopez de Heredia Vina Bosconia Reserva, and it is just about perfect for drinking. Still shows some fruit, but also plenty of tertiary nuance.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:36 am

2013 Bodegas la Magdalena Tempranillo Ribera del Jucar Sueno Tempranillo.

Little known area central east of Spain. Purchased April 2016 for this Focus on WLDG. 14% alc, $18 Cdn.

Good berryish nose, earthy. Not showing a lot of oak and not overly spicy from across the table. Medium reddish-ruby color with nice depth in the centre.
Fair light bodied but did fill out on second day. No tannins to speak of, earthy, plum, red berries. Spice, good acidity, uneven vintage conditions I read. This wine is not overly ripe at all, thought I might find some licorice but out of luck. Wonder what some cellaring might do?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:20 pm

I will open a Tempranillo over the weekend. I may go with a white wine tonight and tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:13 pm

I wasn't expecting to put my hand on much Tempranillo derived wine locally but I found this one at a local supermarket. A French connection, "François Lurton y Dany et Michel Rolland", explains its presence on the shelves. It's possible that I might have guessed Tempranillo and Spain blind; round cherry infused fruit and moderate acidity for the former coupled with vanilla presence, though quite discreet, for the latter.

2009 Bodega Burdigala Toro Campo Alegre - Spain, Castilla y León, Toro (4/14/2016)
Deep quite opaque cardinal's robe. Nose is very subdued and difficult to detect anything. Palate is quite full bodied with lots of round but rather tasteless fruit with a little bit of sweet cherry peeping through, suave but rather thick texture at first, moderate acidity and a lacing of quite discreet vanilla. There is a certain roundly bitter and rather hot firmness on the finish which I think owes more to alcohol (14.5%) than to tannins. It could be that this is in a closed phase and that it will blossom down the road but I'm not sure how it would balance the alcohol. At present rather boring.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Two affordable Riojas

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:43 pm

San Pedro Apostol 2012 “Campellares” Alta Rioja Tempranillo ($12.99)
A single-varietal, 100% Tempranillo, this wine is dark reddish purple with a clear violet edge. Juicy red-plum and black-cherry aromas are joined by an earthy back note of leather. Flavors mirror the nose, bright and clean. Mouth-watering acidity surrounds fresh but subtle cherry-berry fruit with an earthy hint of leather; palate-cleansing and food-friendly, 13.5% alcohol stays in the background. Tart cherries linger in a long finish.

Bodegas Forcada 2010 “Flor de Baco” Crianza Rioja ($11.99)
A typical Rioja blend of Tempranillo (85%), Garnacha (10%), and Graciano (5%), this wine is dark purple in the glass, shading to garnet, transparent at the edge. There’s a lot of sweet, vanilla oak in the nose, as you might expect from a “Crianza,” a Rioja designation for wines aged at least 12 months in oak and 12 more in bottles. Lurking behind the oak, though, there’s subtle and complex red fruit, cherries and red berries, that carry over onto the palate with good, food-friendly acidity, 14% alcohol, and soft tannins.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Flaco 2013 Tempranillo - Vinos de Madrid, cheap plonk, it's merlot for all the typicity it's got; on the other hand, it was bought for sangria so that's OK. :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 am

Let's hear it for Sangria!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 pm

What is the focus for May please?? How about a broad subject like Summer Patio Whites?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:What is the focus for May please?? How about a broad subject like Summer Patio Whites?

Coming right up, Bob! The month started on a weekend and fooled me. :) Our topic is "The Loire: Chenin Blanc."

I'm sorry, but we're never going to do a broad subject like "Summer Patio Whites" for Wine Focus. It's way too broad a subject, pretty much the antithesis of "Focus." Feel free to go sip some of those and post a TN, though. :)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu May 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Two Spanish wines almost side-by side.
2009 SIDE BY SIDE RIOJA CRIANZA, produced and bottled by David Moreno Pena. 13.5% abv. This was such a pleasant, easy sipper that something in me rebels at the idea of analyzing and dissecting it. I had it with tip steak and the next day with lamb chop. Quite delicious! At a price of $12.99 this was good QPR (reduced from $16.00)

2005 SIDE BY SIDE RIOJA RESERVA. 13.5% abv. Dark purple-red, opaque and with viscosity. On the nose I pick up dark berries and more oak than on the crianza. On the palate it is less fruity and fresh than the crianza but shows more depth. My preference is for the crianza but I can see how others would prefer this one. This showed better integration of the oak the final evening. Both displayed an affinity with broiled lamb chops. The label shows two hunters with guns slung over their shoulders and a dog accompanying them. Might be a nice gift for a relative or friend who enjoys hunting.