The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Eenie meenie Vermentini

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Eenie meenie Vermentini

by Patchen Markell » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:34 pm

Tasted side by side with dinner tonight: a Tablas Creek 2014 Paso Robles Vermentino ($23.00) and a Bisson 2013 Portofino Vermentino "Intrigoso" ($29.00). Without food, the comparison was pretty predictable: the Bisson was leaner, showing white pepper, minerals, and a long finish of sea-air salinity, while the Tablas Creek was slightly richer and rounder, with more explicit lemon-zest notes and a bit bigger mouthfeel -- though still well-structured enough that, on its own, if you'd asked me if it was Italian or Californian I'd have thought Italian for sure. Indeed, the only surprise was how faint the differences between the wines were. But with food -- in this case, whole-wheat spaghetti with EVOO, rapini, garlic, peperoncino, and pecorino -- the Tablas Creek really came into its own: the slightly richer fruit seemed to play especially well with the stronger flavors of the dish, becoming more complex, while the Bisson was more of a neutral, cleansing backdrop. Both are solid, tasty, reasonably priced wines, but the Tablas Creek was a particularly nice discovery.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Eenie meenie Vermentini

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Eenie meenie Vermentini..saw this and thought David :lol: .
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:10 am

He's a punspiration to us all. :D
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:58 am

Patchen Markell wrote:Tasted side by side with dinner tonight: a Tablas Creek 2014 Paso Robles Vermentino ($23.00) and a Bisson 2013 Portofino Vermentino "Intrigoso" ($29.00). Without food, the comparison was pretty predictable: the Bisson was leaner, showing white pepper, minerals, and a long finish of sea-air salinity, while the Tablas Creek was slightly richer and rounder, with more explicit lemon-zest notes and a bit bigger mouthfeel -- though still well-structured enough that, on its own, if you'd asked me if it was Italian or Californian I'd have thought Italian for sure. Indeed, the only surprise was how faint the differences between the wines were. But with food -- in this case, whole-wheat spaghetti with EVOO, rapini, garlic, peperoncino, and pecorino -- the Tablas Creek really came into its own: the slightly richer fruit seemed to play especially well with the stronger flavors of the dish, becoming more complex, while the Bisson was more of a neutral, cleansing backdrop. Both are solid, tasty, reasonably priced wines, but the Tablas Creek was a particularly nice discovery.

Yup, Patchen...the TCV Vermentino is quite a dandy expression of the grape. It and the Ryme "Hers" are my two favorites
from Calif & can stand up to any made anywhere in the World. The Tuscany versions are pretty boring. The Corsican ones I find
a bit...well...coarse...and not the perfume/refinement of others. We had an Abbona Favorita last night that was, perhaps,
the finest Vermentino I've had from Piemonte.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 am

Eenie meenie chili beanie! The spirits are about to speak!