The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Catching up on some notes from last four weeks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Catching up on some notes from last four weeks

by JC (NC) » Thu May 12, 2016 7:40 pm

2009 Domaine A. Machard de Gramont Chorey-Les-Beaune "Les Beaumonts" Burgundy, France. Labeled as 13% abv. Alfio Moriconi Selection. Pretty color. Dark raspberry and cherry are layered over earthy backdrop. The wine is somewhat tannic and gritty on the finish. Very enjoyable, overall. I had it with fried chicken. Worthy of a repurchase. I found it good both chilled and at room temperature.

2013 Cherry Tart (Hundred Acre) Pinot Noir (by Cherry Pie.) 14.5% abv. 50% Monterey County, 25% Sonoma County, 25% Santa Barbara County. Microfermentation of juice from the different vineyards. Jayson Woodbridge is the winemaker. Screwcap closure. 100% French oak; 20% new. Darkly colored and nearly opaque. I find slightly tart cherries, cinnamon and clove spices, with an unexpected earthiness and a viscous texture. More to ponder than I would anticipate at this price point (I paid $16.99.) I can see offering this to non-geek guests or keeping it on hand for informal summer dinners. Grainy finish. Acceptable but not too exciting.

2011 Ceritas Chardonnay Charles Heintz Vineyard, Sonoma Coast, CA. 12.9% abv. Deep straw color with clarity. Light lemon note and a hint of chalkiness. Comes down on the side of an acidic wine such as Chablis in most vintages rather than a fat or buttery ripe-grape wine. This makes a nice aperitif as it brings the tastebuds alive--I could see having it with shrimp cocktail or cheese canapes. I wouldn't say it is my favorite Chard from Ceritas or Charles Heintz Vineyard (one I took to Greensboro the first weekend in April was more to my taste.) This is just a bit austere, perhaps due to conditions in the 2011 vintage. Nevertheless, it has its appeal and contrasts vividly with some of the Cali Chard stereotypes.

2005 Foxen Pinot Noir Block 8 Bien Nacido Vineyard, Santa Maria Valley, Santa Barbara County, CA. 14.9% abv. Foxen was founded in 1985 by Bill Wathen and Dick Dore (with accent over the "e") The wine is dark red in color with a slight brownish tone and opaque. With the high alcohol percentage. this is a decidedly hearty, robust wine but I find it yummy. I am trying to drink some of my wines that may be past their prime but this tastes as if it could go another three years. The flavors include dark berries, cinnamon spice and leather. The fruit material is sufficient to keep the wine in balance despite a high alcohol percentage. Easy drinking. It paired nicely with a broiled cheeseburger with onions.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to my notes on the Bordeaux tasting in Charlotte last Saturday.