The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cline Mourvedre AncientVines '14...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Cline Mourvedre AncientVines '14...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun May 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Tried this w/ Susan last night:
1. ClineFamilyCllrs Mourvedre AncientVines ContraCostaCnty (15.0%; 12 mo. in 30% new Am.oak) 2014: Med.dark color; strong Mourv/plummy/pomegranate some dusty/OV light earthy/mushroomy/ContraCosta quite attractive innteresting nose; lightly tart bright/rich Mourv/plummy/pomegranate some earthy/mushroomy/CC light dusty/OV flavor w/ light smooth tannins; long strong plummy/pomegranate/dusty/OV bit earthy/mushroomy finish w/ light smooth tannins; quite an attractive Mourv at a great price. $15.00 (KK)
1. It's kinda interesting how a wnry that was once one of your favorites just sorta falls off your radar. Such is the case of Cline. When Matt & Fred were partners, I always tried their wines & liked them quite a lot...some of the best wines out of ContraCosta. When they parted company and Fred moved to Sonoma and started a focus on Rhones, I just sort of lost interest. I'd occasionally try their CoolClimate Syrah (from their vnyd in the PetalumaGap) and found it to be excellent, as well as their Viognier. But the Syrah I'd seldom see here in NM.
Back in April, winemaker Charlie Tsegeletos signed on for NEB#6 w/ their current Nebbiolo. I checked out the JacuzziFamily WebSite, found a bunch of things that interested me (this is their Italian varietals program), tried them a few weeks ago & liked what I tried. So I scolded myself for being such a doofus and pledged I would revisit Cline. Which I will do in a few weeks when I visit Charlie.
So when I saw this AV Mourvedre on the shelf, I decided I'd give it a shot this weekend. Glad I did. When I last tried the Cline AV Mourv, maybe 10-15 yrs ago, I thought it rather on the soft/soupy side and lacking in structure. This Mourv was not at all like that. It had a lot of bright Mourv fruit (as bright as it gets for Mourv) and spoke more of CCCnty than I recalled. It reminded me a lot of the old Ridge Mataros w/o all the Ridge oak. Also reminded me a lot of some of the Dirty&Rowdy Mourvs, but w/ a bit more polish. I recall the old Cline AV Mourvs as showing a lot of eucalyptus. Wasn't here at all that I could fine.
Anyway...it's always nice to renew an old friendship....be it w/ people or wines.
Tom
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: Cline Mourvedre AncientVines '14...(short/boring)

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 am

When wine tasting in Sonoma I always used to stop at Cline's tasting room next to Sears Point Raceway. I enjoyed everything about the wines except for the ubiquitous eucalyptus. I'm not fond of eucalyptus aromas and flavors in wine--before my first wine tasting visit to California, when I discovered what caused it, I called it "Sonoma stink".

So it's interesting to hear that there's a Cline mourvedre without the eucalyptus. I'll have to see if I can find any.

-Paul W.