The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sending Salil on his way to Indiana

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Sending Salil on his way to Indiana

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:37 am

We had some lovely wines last night as we bid Salil farewell from Connecticut. I took short pours as I had to get home, and did not take formal notes, but all the wines left a notable impression. It was also good to catch up with Marco and John.

1995 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Kabinett Herrenberg
We did a pop and pour, and initially that was a disservice to the wine, as it still, at 20+ years old, had some notable sponti/sulphury stink. Fast forward an hour or so, and it’s all laser sharp citrus fruit and cutting minerals. Shows as a halbtrocken at most, and could age a lot longer, but might become too austere for some folks.

1975 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Spatlese Herrenberg
At first this seemed to be on its last legs, a shell of fruit and overriding spice tones that normally speak of “generic old wine.” As with the Kabinett, air improved things, and more fruit emerged to complement the spices. It was certainly a “drink now” wine, but not on its deathbed as originally feared.

1983 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Auslese Abstberg No. 125
So here we go again with the early dominance of bottle funk. In fact this seemed corked, but with air the mustiness completely blew off and a beautiful peachy, spicy, lemony aromatic emerged with good depth, balanced sweetness and decent, if not impressive length. The more air this bot the better it showed.

1995 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Eiswein Herrenberg
This followed a J. J. Prum Auslese Goldkapsul (see below), and was actually not as rich or as sweet. What it did have was a fascinating blend of zippy fruit, black tea and spices on a medium weight frame. What it also had was endless length. I still tasted it at the end of the evening. It was a real treat to get to drink this.

There were a number of other outstanding wines, including a shockingly youthful and bright 1983 ZIlliken Saarburger Rausch Auslese Goldkapsul, as well as a 1990 J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsul (or was that LGK – I did not get a photo record) that was by far the richest Riesling on the table, and probably needs another 15 years to come close to maturity.

There were reds as well. John brought 2. A constantly evolving 1985 Faiveley Chambertin Clos de Beze that had been double decanted 4 hours earlier still needed an extra hour of air to shed some of its Faiveley structure and develop silken layers of earth, flowers, red fruit and stone stood out as the red wine of the night. It was served alongside a 1975 l’Evangile that was a typically ’75 mix of fading fruit surrounded by still aggressive tannin. I liked the entry and finish on the wine, but the tannins caused a dip in the mid-palate. Marco brought along a real treat, a 1934 Antonio Bernardino Paulo da Silva Collares. It had been reconditioned (re-corked) by the winery, and was still a deep-, dark red with all sorts of leather and floral notes. The high acidity kept it very lively. Marco compared the wine to a Nebbiolo, and with the florality I could see that.

An impressive evening to say the least!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Sending Salil on his way to Indiana

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:51 am

That is a nice set of wines. And I like the way this farewell tour (as noted on the wine boards) has many iterations!

Having been thinking about Grunhaus more than usual, because am going to dinner tomorrow and the list has a fairly-priced 86 Herrenberg kabinett, which immediately caught my Gunhaus-loving eye, so will be doing my best to steer my friends in that direction.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am

Since he is being exiled to Indiana*, it is mighty kind of you to show him off in such style!

* I kid. I kid (sorta) Indiana born and "bred". :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:31 am

You better be kidding Brian! We don't take kindly to put downs by you big city types here in the Hoosier state. After all, we are the home of future vice-president of the United States of America Mr. Mike Pence!

#pleasetellmethatwillnothappen
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 am

You mean future Christian Mullah of the United States, Mike Pence, don't you?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Sam Platt wrote:You better be kidding Brian! We don't take kindly to put downs by you big city types here in the Hoosier state. After all, we are the home of future vice-president of the United States of America Mr. Mike Pence!

#pleasetellmethatwillnothappen

http://www.stonekettle.com/2016/07/the-decider.html
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 am

That's quite the awesome sendoff! What institution is Salil headed to?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Nice lineup!
He's getting nice set of sendoffs.
Ryan, DePauw.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Archive.

I see the mention of Colares. New arrival downtown Adega Viuva Gomes for $300 Cdn..the 1934!! Pics to prove it!!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am

I saw title and was VERY confused.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:24 am

Yeah, there's no actual rule against resurrecting an old thread, but it's nice to have a good reason for it. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 am

The thread mentions Colares.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:The thread mentions Colares.

So, Bob, next time you want to tell us that a wine shop in Calgary has Colares, why not just start a shiny new thread? That would be niiiiice. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Ooh, age discrimination against old threads! I thought better of you, Robin. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Ooh, age discrimination against old threads! I thought better of you, Robin. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :twisted: