The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

November Wine Focus: Loire Reds: Cabernet Franc, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: November Wine Focus: Loire Reds: Cabernet Franc, etc.

by Bruce K » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am

Tim York wrote:[I don't recall having had a Coteaux du Giennois and I should definitely remedy that oversight.

I'm underweight on Baudry. Only three assorted bottles left. Something else to remedy :D .

Coteaux du Giennois is still a small, minor appellation, and generally not at the level of nearby Sancerre, but I've been very impressed by Berthier in particular and a few other producers. (FWIW, more than a dozen years ago, we did a house exchange with a family living just outside Gien; they pooh-poohed the appellation and got most of their wine from Sancerre and Menetou-Salon.)

As far as Baudy goes, what would it be, a three hour drive from Normandy to Chinon? Might be worth it!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:45 pm

3 hour drive..sounds good to me! Tim might have to take in-house PO but she will enjoy the local sights whilst Tim fills the boot!!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:46 am

Yes, it's an easy three hours drive mostly on motorway. The problem is that there is so much to do and see as well as wine that one day is hopelessly inadequate. Before my daughter and her family moved to Normandy, they lived near Tours and we got to explore the region quite a lot.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:01 am

I am halfway through a Cab Franc from Zorzal, Arg. This a real treat and will post tomorrow, I am told this is a winery to look out for, on the up-and-up!
(I believe some investors from Calgary are involved but this is besides the point. No bias here forumites).
no avatar
User

raheel.munir

Rank

Just got here

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:09 am

by raheel.munir » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:11 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:If you need a red wine that going to require 3 days to show its stuff, then this one is for you!

TN: 2009 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Trinch, Loire Valley.

Diam-style cork, 100% Cab Franc, Phenq guess around $29 Cdn, cellared 4 yrs, 12.5% alc, grown biodynamically. Some sediment noted, decanted for an hour but sure needed more time.

I have to think some bottle variation as some well known enthusiasts wrote notes hardly similar to mine!

Quite a stemmy nose which carried through to the palate. Tannic, very dry finish and overall not much shown till last glass on day 3 when I found some hints of ripe fruit. Unappealing wine which was a pity as I was looking forward to opening, having read so much about the Breton family
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:49 am

raheel.munir wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:If you need a red wine that going to require 3 days to show its stuff, then this one is for you!

TN: 2009 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Trinch, Loire Valley.

Diam-style cork, 100% Cab Franc, Phenq guess around $29 Cdn, cellared 4 yrs, 12.5% alc, grown biodynamically. Some sediment noted, decanted for an hour but sure needed more time.

I have to think some bottle variation as some well known enthusiasts wrote notes hardly similar to mine!

Quite a stemmy nose which carried through to the palate. Tannic, very dry finish and overall not much shown till last glass on day 3 when I found some hints of ripe fruit. Unappealing wine which was a pity as I was looking forward to opening, having read so much about the Breton family

Trinch! is a wine made to be drunk young in its first year or two. It's not surprising that it has dried out by its 7th anniversary (see my post above on tasting the Breton range with a family member).
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:15 am

I can't resist reviving this thread to post on this delicious young St.Nic from Frédéric Mabileau (not the same estate as Laurent Mabileau on which I posted above). This is young lightish Loire CabFranc from sandy gravelly soil at its best. I actually prefer it to the two good QPR Bordeaux on which I posted yesterday because it shows more fragrant refinement without their sophisticated élevage.

2014 Frédéric Mabileau Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil Les Rouillères - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil (12/8/2016)
This young medium- bodied St.Nic Bourgueil from warm gravelly soil has an unusual but welcome combination of quaffabilty and refinement. Expressive fragrant nose and palate showing gracious red fruit, some flowers, just a hint of that green pepper so hated by modern purists, fine mineral, mouth-watering acidity and just enough tannic grip on the finish. Moreish and not treacherous at only 12.5% alcohol. Good+.
Image[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

I had previously mention a Cab Franc from Zorzal, Argentina. The vineyard is 4,400 ft above sea level, no oak, concrete egg. Good depth of color, intense aromatic nose but not really akin to a red from the Loire. It has the spice with some silky tannins and on day 2 a hint of pomegranite. Think best to put this 2015 aside for 2 years. I enjoyed with some guests so brief notes but will revisit.
Previous