The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hudson Valley Wineries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

Hudson Valley Wineries

by Ryan D » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:42 am

For the wife's birthday [in July] I'm taking her up to New York state for the weekend to visit some wineries. I've been doing my own research but am curious if anyone has any inside/personal information on wineries up in the Hudson Valley area.

I'm looking at the wineries on the Shawangunk Wine Trail [but are in no way bound to just the wineries on it] and so far have been intrigued by: Brotherhood, Rivendell, and Applewood.

I'd be happy to list others on the trail if you ask, but I'd rather you'd just share your experience than pick from a list I'd provide.

We're not looking for high-end or expensive wine experiences, we're both very much novices and probably wouldn't tell the difference anyway. Just looking for some great wine, and especially great people.

Advice and knowledge much appreciated in advance.
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

Re: Hudson Valley Wineries

by Steven Noess » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:39 am

Have fun. I have plenty of experience with the Hudson Valley. Unfortunately, none of it relates to wine. But, I would suggest a sidetrip through West Point (my alma mater) for something else to do in the area if you've never seen it. Probably about 30 minutes from the trail on 9W (just south of Cornwall).
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:23 am

just tasted a couple of wines from Millbrook. the red, either a meritage or a cab franc, can't remember was really superb! the whte - tocai friuliano - was well made and interesting. if i were going, i wouldn't miss this one.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:42 am

According to the website the red is a Cab Franc. I will likely take you up on the advice.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:01 am

Ryan, check out http://www.vintagenewyork.com/homepage.html

Vintage New York specializes in New York wines, and they are always up to date on winery hours and special winery events. They have two outlets in New York City and one at Rivendell -- very nice people at all three places. Well wired to interesting places to visit when you are going to be there.

Brotherhood is a must for the history and for some interesting dessert wines.

The Dupuy Canal House in High Falls has a great wine list, pretty good food, and lots of history.

An unusual stop -- Mohonk Mountain House -- has an extraordinary site and is a good place for lunch with a very limited wine list. Great place to stay overnight. http://www.mohonk.com/

Enjoy the trip.

Regards, Bob