The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

WTN: Skerk Terran '11..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:44 am

Tried last week up in Loveland:
1. Skerk Terran IGP: VeneziaGiulia Terrano (15%; OliverMcCrumWines) Prepotto 2011: Dark color; strong blackberry/black cherry cola/RCCola slight herbal/earthy/thyme quite fragrant Refosco-like bit complex lovely nose; lightly tart strong boysenberry/black cherry cola/blackberry/Refosco-like light earthy/herbal/thyme/graphite/pungent/musky some complex flavor w/ light fairly smooth tannins; very long somewhat tart strong black cherry cola/RCCola/boysenberry some peppery/earthy/herbal/thyme very structured rather complex/spicy finish; no signs of overripeness and carries the 15% very well; loads of structured black cherry Refosco character; probably entering its prime drinking window and should go another 6-8 yrs; a beautiful example of Terrano/Refosco. $33.00 (K&L)
1. OliverMcCrum, the importer for SandiSkerk wines, received the new release of Skerk wines a few months ago but not much has leaked out into retail. So I made arrangements w/ Dan at VintageBerkeley to get a case of the new release. Plus a few more of the '11 Terrano. So I thought I see how the '11 Teranno was doing afore my next 2 btls arrive. And it is doing very/very well, thank you. So you should be able to get the new Skerks at VintageBerkeley on CollegeAve. The Skerks are excellent wines and worth tracking down.
2. Terrano: This variety originated in Croatia on the Istrian Peninsula. It is a member of the Refosco family. I find that the Slovene/Carso Terrans resemble Refosco dal PeduncolaRosso but seem to have more structure & backbone. It's a variety they should be planting all up&down the coast of Calif.
According to SandiSkerk, over a yr ago, the EU bureaucrats declared (at the behest of the Slovenians, presumably) that Terran varietal name can only be used on wines that come from the red-soiled Kras region in Slovenia. Since Croatia is not a member of the EU, they can ignore that ruling (but they can't sell their Terrans inside the EU).
It seems peculiar that a variety can only be named as such when grown in a specific region. However...I have it on very good authority, come January, a ruling by the TTB will declare that CabernetSauvignon cannot be used on a US label unless it is grown on the red-soils of VA and, specifically, on the TrumpEstate there. That's not gonna play well in the NapaVlly!!
Tom