The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: SequoiaGrove CabSauv CaskTwo '80...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: SequoiaGrove CabSauv CaskTwo '80...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 pm

I tried this w/ John this afternoon:
1. SequoiaGrove CabernetSauvignon NapaVlly (Cask Tqwo; 12%) P&B by The AllenFamily/Oakville 1980: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; strong quite cedary/pencilly/oldCab some herbal/CS/dusty/loamy slight blackcurranty/Cab quite complex oldCab nose; soft quite pencilly/cedary/oldCab fairly herbal/Bdx-like very light oak quite complex oldCab flavor w/ light smooth/velvety tannins; very long/lingering some herbal/CS/oldBdx very slight blackcurranty/Cab quite cedary/pencilly/oldCab bit earthy/dusty rather complex finish w/ light smooth tannins; a lovely complex fully-mature old-timey Calif w/ some aged Bdx character; reminds a lot of old BV PrivRsrve Cabs w/o the strong vanilla/oak signature; showing no signs of cracking up or going over the hill; almost enough to make me dribk Calif Cab again. $nc (JA)
1. I visited w/ JimAllen on Sat morning. As some of you know, Jim is nearing the end of his life due to kidney failure. I asked if I could have a btl from his stash to share w/ JohnBalagna (another fellow founder of the NewMexico Vine&Wine Society back in the early '70's). Jim readily agreed. I selected this one because it was in that Spring when I first visited Jim at SequoiaGrove.
This wine was actually made at MikeRobbins' SpringMtnWnry. Working w/ Jim on this was André Tchelistcheff.
Tom