The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Newish Oakland (CA) Wine Shop

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Newish Oakland (CA) Wine Shop

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Inspired by Patchen's post, I thought I would mention a newish wine shop of note in the Temescal area of Oakland: Oakland Yard Wine Shop.

Definitely on the IPOB/Natural Wines side of things, they had a quite nice tasting with a stunning German Pinot Gris, a very nice American Syrah-Carrignan blend, a Pais from Chile, a Lake Garda white blend, and a deliciously tart and funky Bordeaux from just outside St Emillion.

The latter sees no oak, is 90% merlot and 10% cab franc, and is delicious in a slightly funky, earthy way. Delightful red berry fruit. Went well with lamb and fried polenta.

Arnauld D'Audier de Cassini was the producer.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Newish Oakland (CA) Wine Shop

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:01 pm

thanks for rec, my stepson goes to Berkeley and lives in Temescal section.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Lucky guy, Dale! Love Temescal.

The shop is on 40th right down the street from the decadent Homeroom Macaroni and Cheese restaurant. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 pm

What a coincidence, Brian -- my brother-in-law lives right around there (on Webster near 38th), and I think he's mentioned this shop. I'll have to stop in next time I visit!
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:04 am

Dale, if you ever visit out here, let me know! You, too, Patchen!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:What a coincidence, Brian -- my brother-in-law lives right around there (on Webster near 38th), and I think he's mentioned this shop. I'll have to stop in next time I visit!

Webster is the main bicycle route connector between downtown O and points north. A good way to avoid the heavier traffic on Telegraph (and the awful pavement in the heart of Temescal), so very familiar with the area.. Oakland has gone full bore on the cycling improvements between Broadway and just below Temescal, but it gets rougher to the north.

The macaroni and cheese place is pretty decadent and epic, too. :mrgreen:

The shop owners seem very eager, and they have some nice bottles. Reminds me a little bit of the old Punchdown shop without the food menu.