The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pontet Canet, La Louvier, Arrowood, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Pontet Canet, La Louvier, Arrowood, etc

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 pm

1997 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac
Medium garnet color. Black cherry and pomegranate fruit and some oak-spice, buoyed by brighter acidity than you expect for two decades. Interestingly, no very 'mature' notes--Bob, tasting blind, guessed 10-12 yrs, not 20. No decanting required.

2014 Domaine de la Fouquette Côtes de Provence Cuvée Rosée d'Aurore Rosé Blend
A lost leftover from the summer of 2015 (my husband unintentionally hid this case of mixed rose in the garage, only found it this weekend. Argh!) Should have been drunk two summers ago but has the essential, Tempier-like dryness and acidity for interesting bottle-aging, however undeliberate.

2005 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County
Ever have a case of wine you're just SO happy to see the last of because it was more trial and tribulation than happiness to own it? This case. In fact, case and a half. This was, in fact, a good bottle. Very rich and hedonistic right now but not as porty as in the past, and the alcohol doesn't slap you on the way in as it used to. Similar bottles should age well for another five years.

2011 Château La Louvière Blanc Pessac-Léognan
Peach and stone fruit on the entry, grapefruit on the finish. Almost viscous. Only 15% semillon but that's what's carrying the wine right now. Very good but not as crisp as a bottle one year ago. Presuming this bottle wasn't flawed, I wouldn't put more age on them.

2011 Tenuta Guado al Tasso (Antinori) Vermentino Bolgheri Camillo
They were glorious while they lasted but suddenly a turn for the worse. Drink up.

2015 Domaine de la Robinière / Vincent Raimbault Vouvray Sec Bel Air Chenin Blanc
Assertive stone fruit on the nose; ripe but buoyed by adequate acidity and tannins. Grapefruit on the finish. Very nice.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pontet Canet, La Louvier, Arrowood, etc

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:08 pm

What was the vintage on the Pontet-Canet? Your note does not seem to match a 2007.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What was the vintage on the Pontet-Canet? Your note does not seem to match a 2007.

ARGH! 1997.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm

A very positive note for a 1997.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:05 pm

The '97 Pontet-Canet certainly impressed backed in 2009. "Tough as nails" my notes say.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Ryan M wrote:The '97 Pontet-Canet certainly impressed backed in 2009. "Tough as nails" my notes say.

Though when I removed this from the cellar I didn't see another bottle next to it, my inventory claims I have another. Hope so!