The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: ESJ, Boillot, Bremont, Pinon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: ESJ, Boillot, Bremont, Pinon

by Dale Williams » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Some friends came over for dinner tonight, I shucked a few oysters, we had some cukes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche, and started with the NV Bremont “Cuvee Prestige” Brut Champagne. I’ve still got some of this from a lot several years ago, but this is a fresh graymarket., Fresh, citrusy, bread and herb notes. Good, and my friend Ron says to source him some. Big but bright. B+/A-

Dinner was a couple of small roast chickens, with Ottolenghi green couscous (arugula, herbs, pistachio) and his roast sweet potatoes with lemongrass creme fraiche.

1995 Edmunds St. John “Les Cotes Sauvages”
As others have reported, this is in a nice place. Smoky, meaty, with red fruits and a touch of herb. The tannins are resolved, raspberry and strawberry fruit is quite fresh. Fun! A-/B+

2012 Louis Boillot Bourgogne rouge
Fresh red cherry fruit, touch of earth, pretty. B

2013 Pinon Vouvray
Sec-tendre, apple and wool with an overlay of spring flowers. Tasty. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: ESJ, Boillot, Bremont, Pinon

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm

It seems like we are all going to drink through our purchases of the ESJ cellar releases in about a year!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:52 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:It seems like we are all going to drink through our purchases of the ESJ cellar releases in about a year!

Hey, that was the idea! I needed something to drink now while I wait for his other wines to age.

(Although did add to my stash of 2005 Bassetti and plan on keeping those for some time)

Opened an 01 Bassetti last weekend and the texture was absolutely gorgeous, rich resolved silk. Flavors were a bit dark, and I did decant for sediment, so that shouldn't have been an issue. Still, it was great and evolved over several hours.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
2012 Louis Boillot Bourgogne rouge
Fresh red cherry fruit, touch of earth, pretty. B

Good for you. I had a few of his '12s this past year (village and 1er) that were not showing too well and decided to wait. Always tough when the style is somewhat reserved.