The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Novy GSM AlderSpringsVnyd '02...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Novy GSM AlderSpringsVnyd '02...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

I was inspired to try an AlderSprings wine last night:
1. Novy GSM AlderSpringsVnyd/MendoCnty (45% Grenache/32% Mourv/15% Counoise/8% Syrah; 15.0%) 2002: Med.light color w/ some bricking; some smokey/pencilly/Siduri oak light strawberry/Grenache/plummy slight herbal/spicy some complex nose; soft some strawberry/Grenache/plummy strong toasty/smokey/pencilly/Siduri oak rather smooth slight tired/oldRed bit complex flavor w/ light smooth/gentle tannnins; very long soft smooth/gentle some strawberry/Grenache/plummy/Mourv light herbal/spicy strong Siduri oak/pencilly/smokey slightly tired/oldRed bit complex finish w/ light smooth/bit drying tannins; a quite pleasant fully mature GSM blend that's dominated by the Siduri oak and starting its downward decline.
1. Because of a recent discussion of AlderSprings, I decided to pull this and try it. Alas, there was not enough fruit left to get much of a character of AlderSprings. I find the reds from AS often have a bit of a herbal/forest floor/woodsy character. Did not pick up any of that in this wine.
Tom