The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kiona Lemberger RedMtn '13...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Kiona Lemberger RedMtn '13...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

Couldn't stand the Produttori, so cracked:
1. KionaVnyds Lemberger RedMtn (13.5%; Plntd: 1975; www.KionaWine.com) BentonCity/WA 2013: Med.dark color; strong plummy/boysenberry/pomengranate/Mourv-like some earthy/loamy slight herbal/thyme light vanilla/oak quite attractive nose; soft/fat rich/lush quite plummy/boysenberry/Mourv-like some Zin-like some earthy/loamy/herbal flavor w/ light smooth/gentle tannins; long rather earthy/loamy some plummy/boysenberry/pomengranate light vanilla/oak finish w/ light ripe/soft tannins; some like a Calif Mourv, some like a good Austrian Blaufrankisch w/o the tannic bite; quite a good drinking wine at a great price. $14.00 (SFW&S)
1. Kiona: Founded in 1980 by JimHolmes & JohnWilliams. Jim used to work at Hanford and would make frequent trips to LosAlamos and did several tastings for my group of Kiona wines around that time. Theirs was the first grape planting on RedMtn in 1976, including Lemberger. In 1994, Jim sold his share in Kiona to focus on his Ciel du Cheval vnyd, regarded as one of the best WashState vnyds.
2. Lemberger: Also known in Austria as Blaufrankisch and as Kekfrankos in Hungary. Originated in Lower (Slovenian) Styria. This Lemberger show the classic earthy/loamy character you typically find in Blaufrankisch.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: Kiona Lemberger RedMtn '13...(short/boring)

by Hoke » Tue May 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Ah yes, Kiona Lemberger. I have followed that almost from the very start. Tom was in front of me.

It was one of the first wines from Washington state introduced to me on my initial visit. Endearingly obscure and quite enjoyable, this off-the-beaten-path red became a favorite of mine. Covey Run, another WA winery with a much more roller-coaster history, once had a Lemberger that was good, but the Kiona is much, much better. Kiona is pretty much the go-to version of Lemberger/Blaufrankisch/Kekfrankos (okay, not the most sought-after red, but it is tasty as hell.)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

From The Very Start??

by TomHill » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Hoke wrote:Ah yes, Kiona Lemberger. I have followed that almost from the very start. Tom was in front of me.

It was one of the first wines from Washington state introduced to me on my initial visit. Endearingly obscure and quite enjoyable, this off-the-beaten-path red became a favorite of mine. Covey Run, another WA winery with a much more roller-coaster history, once had a Lemberger that was good, but the Kiona is much, much better. Kiona is pretty much the go-to version of Lemberger/Blaufrankisch/Kekfrankos (okay, not the most sought-after red, but it is tasty as hell.)

Sounds like you were close to me, Hoke.
When I first had it w/ JimHolmes, I recall it being very much like a Paso Zin. Now it shows much more of that earthy/loamy
character I associate w/ Blaufrankisch. Maybe it's the vine age?? As you & I both know...age has its benifits..to a degree. :lol:
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Kiona Lemberger RedMtn '13...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Wed May 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Definitely one of Washington's greatest little gems. What's cool is that the geeks get it, and so do the non-geeks. And we typically pay around $12 for it here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov