The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tasty little 2009 red Burgundies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Tasty little 2009 red Burgundies

by Rahsaan » Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 am

In the past month I've had a couple bottles of 2009 Louis Boillot Volnay Les Angles and they have been an absolute pleasure. Roundish and juicy but with elegance, class and precision, plus all the lovely lovely jeweled Boillot flavors. Not a rich or overly-profound wine, but there is a bit of tannic chew that emerges on the end and there is some 'substance'. Who knows where it may evolve, but in the grand scheme of things I was happy to drink this now because it was so tasty.

2009 Hendri Prudhon Saint Aubain Sur le Sentier du Clou VV has been in a similar vein: juicy, delicious and fine. Although more rustic and with slightly coarser earthier tannins than the Boillot Les Angles. Still, on its own merits, this is a lovely fine fragrant red Burgundy.

Can't say I have much more recent experience with 2009 red Burgundy. Are others showing so well? These were 'modest' 1er crus that perhaps benefited from the slightly softer approachable 2009 fruit. Perhaps 'fancier' wines are more stacked and need more time?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Tasty little 2009 red Burgundies

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 am

I have been completely hands off with the 2009s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:53 pm

The Cote d'Or had a very successful 2009 vintage. Rich, powerful wines, and excellent crop yield. The villages wines and Bourgogne rouge from top producers have been especially good. I suspect that a good bit of declassified premier and grand cru ended up in them.

I opened a Daniel Rion 2009 Nuits St. Georges villes vignes the other day. It was superb, but the act bordered on infanticide. While enjoyable now, this wine is not yet at its best and has a long future ahead of it (if I can keep my hands off my remaining bottles).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:54 am

I've also not really been opening '09s, but should experiment with some village wines.