The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Barba Doll

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Barba Doll

by Jenise » Sun May 28, 2017 1:26 pm

2010 Neyers Zinfandel, Del Barba Vineyard, Contra Costa County
VERY nice zin. Needed about 30 minutes of airtime to come together. When it did, jammy black raspberry was out in front with bramble, cinnamon and dried flowers. Good tannins will hold it together in cellars for years to come.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: Barba Doll

by Ryan M » Sun May 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Recently had a 2010 Dry Creek Valley Zin that impressed me. I'm curious if there are any other gems in 2010 Zin.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 29, 2017 12:46 pm

2010 seems to have been a pretty good year for ageable zins--ripe fruit with lots of structure. Producers like Dry Creek and Neyers who make the kind of zins I initially fell in love with did well. Interesting about this Neyers on CT--my note was the first since 2014, and even then tasters thought it was fading where in fact all it was doing was taking a nap. Too many zin lovers have no idea about this style of zin--maybe one should have a license.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon May 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Jenise wrote:Too many zin lovers have no idea about this style of zin--maybe one should have a license.

The experiences I've had with mature, age worthy Zin have transformed my feelings about Zin - the elegance it can achieve is remarkable, and I think would shock a lot of people who think they understand Zin.

I think I may just find some 2010 Zin for laying down, which means its probably time to finally buy some Ridge.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm

"Licensed to Zin" sounds like a Bond movie, or a trashy airport novel. (Or both, of course.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 29, 2017 3:26 pm

2010 Ridge wines are gone. But fear not Ryan, as there have been a string of excellent wines in more recent vintages.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Mon May 29, 2017 7:14 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2010 Ridge wines are gone. But fear not Ryan, as there have been a string of excellent wines in more recent vintages.

Excellent, can you recommend some?
Galileo Galilei