The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

WTN: A Passel of Nebbiolos..(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm

At BacchusBadBoys Thurs (5/25/17) we tried Some Nebbiolos:
1. BonnyDoon Nebbiolo Ca'delSolo Estate Vnyd/Monterey (14.4%) 2009: Med.light color; rather strong tarry/
road tar/pungent light floral/rose petal/lilacs very fragrant bit oldNebb lovely nose; rather tart/lean/
tight/austere rather pungent/tarry bit cedary/oldRed light floral/dried rose petal flavor w/ light slight
bitey tannins; long rather tarry/pungent slight floral/dried rose petal finish w/ light/bitey tannins;
a reasonable expression of an older Nebb; seems a bit old before its time. $45.00
tannins; med.long stewed fruit/strawberry compote bit burning metal/pungent burnt/charred/oak/woodsmoke
finish w/ light gentle tannins; a very weird wine w/ no Nebb character and strange stewed strawberry
character. $36.00 (WE)
very long/lingering floral/rose petal/Nebb/lilacs slight earthy/tarry/pungent finish w/ some hard/firm/ripe
tannins; speaks strongly of the floral aspects of Nebb. $30.00
flavor w/ lighter/smoother tannins; very long bit aged ItalNebb some dried rose petal/Nebb/floral slight earthy/
pungent finish w/ light tannins; seems to show less perfumed Nebb fruit and more of a slightly aged Nebb
character. $30.00
rosepetal/lilacs/violets/Nebb very aromatic light pungent/tar/herbal terrifically aromatic nose; lightly tart
very strong floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal light pungent/road tar light herbal/earthy bit complex flavor w/
some firm/ripe tannins; very long/lingering quite perfumed/floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal/spicy light road tar/
herbal bit complex finish w/ ample ripe/round tannins; this wine showed the soaring/ethereal aromatics that you
get out of a great Nebb; a beautiful expression of Nebb in Calif at a great price. $30.00
long lightly floral/lilacs/rose petal/Nebb fairly pungent/tarry bit complex finish w/ ample hard/astringent
tannins; more of the road tar part of the Nebb spectrum and pretty hard as nails; needs age. $46.00 (G/MT)
very slight bretty flavor w/ modest smooth tannins; very long/lingering very strong floral/Nebb/violets/rose
petal very light road tar/pungent very slight bretty lovely finish w/ some smooth/ripe tannins; a classic very
perfumed/aromatic Carema Nebb; quite a lovely Nebb at a great price. $26.00 (EVN)
earthy/rustic light pungent/road tar very attractive nose; lightly tart fairly rich/lush/ripe some floral/Nebb/
rose petal/violets very light tarry flavor w/ modest ripe/bit bitey tannins; very long ripe/lush some floral/
Nebb/rose petal/violets/lilacs very light pungent/tarry bit earthy somewhat rustic finish w/ some ripe/rich
tannins; less floral & bit bigger/rounder expression of Nebb. $30.00 (EVN)
hard/angular tannins; very long/lingering some tart fairly rich/full/earthy light floral/lilacs/violets/Nebb
very slight tarry/pungent finish w/ modest hard/ripe tannins; a pretty classic/straightforward expression of
Valtelline Nebb but lacks the soaring fragrance I like in Nebb. $34.00 (CB)
tannins; very long quite tart/austere/lean somewhat floral/Nebb/violets/lilacs lightweight finish w/ some
hard/austere/bitey tannins; a rather lightweight/pretty foursquare mostly floral expression of Barolo.
$49.00 (SFW&S)
: Med.dark color; very strong very aromatic/perfumed floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal bit more grapey very light tarry/pungent very slight toasty/oak beautiful nose; lightly tart bit richer/lusher/grapier very strong floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal very slight pungent/tar
very light toasty/oak complex flavor w/ ample ripe/firm/round tannins; very long/lingering very strong floral/
Nebb/rose petal/violets very light toasty/oak slight tarry/herbal/pungent complex finish w/ ample round/firm
tannins; a slight preference to the '11; a beautiful very perfumed example of Calif Nebb at a great price.
$32.00
________________________________________________________________________________________
Alt-stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Harrington: Bryan makes a number of wines under the Terrane label. These are wines made w/ no SO2 additions,
though a proprietary Swiss anti-oxideant product is used. Details are on his WebSite: www.harringtonwine.com/.
unlikely I'll bother to try any others in the future.
as a mystery wine by Larry. I didn't pick it up as a Castelli until I went back and compared them. I thought it
might be a mid-high end B/B but the tannins seemed out of whack; they wern't the searing tannins you often get
from those wines. The NinoNegri and the Carema were also well-liked, as was the Harrington.
Of the two Castelli's, I very slightly preferred the '12. Emilio's Nebb, at the NEB#x events and public
tastings has consistently been one of the favorites. One of the ugliest vnyds in Calif (he farms by Fukuoako),
but you can't argue about the Nebbs that come from it.
Obviously, except for the first two, these Nebbs would benefit from some additional age. What was striking
was the differing textures in the tannins. The Calif Nebbs, as do the Valtelline ones, though ample, consistently
have a rounder/smoother/riper level of tannin and not the screechy/searing/hard tannins of B/B/Langhe. Of course,
the ardent fans of B/B (of which I am not one) just dismiss those complaints with the pablum that you just have
to give them some age. So be it.
Tom