The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Enjoyable "Old School" Winery Visit (Ravenswood)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Enjoyable "Old School" Winery Visit (Ravenswood)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 am

I decided to do some cycling in the Sonoma town area. After doing the fascinating Lovall Valley (this weird little valley legally in Napa County but totally cut off from the rest of the County, I headed up Gehrike Road. Typical Sonoma County "goat track" road (a mix of semi-filled potholes, cattle guards, and gravel patches), and I was sure not to even come close to the shabby little ranch house with the "trespassers will be shot" sign.

Anyway, I was wrapping up my ride, so I stopped at the RAVENSWOOD tasting room, and I was impressed! Charming little place, with a comfortable tasting "porch" outside. Highlights: Their Semillon-Sauvignon Blanc blend was bracing, the Rose was spot on Provençale in style (savory and bracing and minerally!). The Old Hill Zinfandel actually had tannins. Definitely more restrained, and lovely red fruit. The highlight, though, was the Alexander Valley Pickberry Bordeaux Blend-lovely, balanced, earthy/savory red fruited wine, with a hint, and just a hint of green to add freshness.

I know they are owned by Constellation, but this was a chill tasting and the winery-only wines were all solid and somewhat old school.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach