The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

'California Heritage' as a wine tasting theme?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

'California Heritage' as a wine tasting theme?

by Jenise » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:08 pm

A friend and I are discussing using this as a wine tasting theme later this year. We'll co-host the tasting in California. Chatting about it yesterday, we kind of realized we have two different opinions on how this could/should work. One way, her way, would be winery-oriented: wineries that were established prior to 1977 (a 40 year cutoff) which remain in the hands of or family of the founder. She cited Ravenswood as an example. I pointed out that Ravenswood was sold 10 or so years ago to a conglomerate. (I thought it was Fosters Beer people, but apparently it's Constellation Brands--or are they connected? I recall seeing Ravenswood Shirazes....)

I might mention, and this isn't intended as disparagement, but while this group all adore wine, no one's likely to have a cellar full of old Heitz or Phelps--if indeed they're both still in the family.

My way would concentrate on vineyards of 50 or more years, regardless of who owns them now, though extra points for "still in the family". Like Wente, whose current winemaker is a Wente and the fifth or sixth generation of Wente. Selfishly, I would hate to have to exclude a winery like Bedrock.

I think my way has many more candidates, and possibly more interesting candidates. (Oh, the grape varieties would be limited to Chardonnay, Zinfandel and/or Cabernet, possibly both.) What say you guys?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: 'California Heritage' as a wine tasting theme?

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Old Vines sounds like the way to go. Especially given how ownership and even management of the winery can be obfuscated (especially in marketing materials).

:lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:49 pm

Is it old vines or old vineyards? That is, under your approach, does a vineyard from 1890-something that was replanted 5 or 10 (or 49) years ago still make the cut?

Either way, I like that better than ownership. All money tastes the same
to me. :-)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:23 pm

One could do a tasting like this just with wines from Bedrock and a small handful of other producers.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Is it old vines or old vineyards? That is, under your approach, does a vineyard from 1890-something that was replanted 5 or 10 (or 49) years ago still make the cut?

Either way, I like that better than ownership. All money tastes the same
to me. :-)

Interesting question. One presumes old vineyards contain old vines, but in fact they don't always. My balk at the first way was just trying to narrow down who's who, or to put it another way, if who is still who. As the Ravenswood example shows, you can't just assume.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:27 pm

A lot of the best CA wines, in my local opinion, are blends, often "field blends". For instance, Ridge Geyserville is "California red wine", though we often think of it as Zin. Would you be excluding blends?
Side note: Joseph Swan is one winery that's still in the original family, since Joe founded it in (1973?).
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 am

John Treder wrote:A lot of the best CA wines, in my local opinion, are blends, often "field blends". For instance, Ridge Geyserville is "California red wine", though we often think of it as Zin. Would you be excluding blends?
Side note: Joseph Swan is one winery that's still in the original family, since Joe founded it in (1973?).

Another interesting question! This group has a tendency to single out varieties and I don't know if they've ever acknowledged the loveliness of new world field (and other) blends, beyond 'meritage' at any rate.