The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Neglected French Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Neglected French Wines

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:56 pm

Anyone that has travelled in France will, (if a wine aficionado who always seeks out a taste of whatever is interesting), know of several areas that produce wines that are worthy but that we rarely see here.

Some are a little bit unusual in taste and wouldn't appeal to the vast horde - Jura, for instance.

Some are present in small numbers - Madiran and Cahors are both worthy but never seem to attain a serious presence in a market.

Some are killer value as well as being worthy - Bergeracs and Pecharmants in particular are excellent and a fraction the price of similar wines made a few kilometers west in Bordeaux.

I'm writing in favour of another neglected wine, though - the Gaillac down near Toulouse has been a productive area since Roman times. Some whites are decent, but the reds made from such grapes as Duras and Braucol (aka Fer Servadou) , when not made in the early Beaujolais style, are serious wines with some interesting flavours. I've tasted only a few, in France and on this continent when some wine agent was looking for something new to bring in (though that never went very far) and think it is a shame we don't see them here given the modest price they usually bring.

If anyone has any experience with them, or knows of sources for them in North America, I'd be interested to hear about it. And I have been searching for wine from the 'lost' grape Prunelart for years.

See http://www.vins-gaillac.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Neglected French Wines

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 pm

I grab a Gaillac whenever I can but slim pickings here in AB.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:05 am

Even on this side of the Atlantic it is not too easy to come by interesting Gaillac. Too many examples are excessively dumbed down by international grape varieties, e.g. Syrah, Merlot, Sauvignon blanc. I have, however, been very impressed at tastings by the original flavours of wines, mainly from local grapes, made by Michel Issaly and Causse Marines. Domaine Plageoles is universally praised and I would snap up any of their wines I see. I think that the commercial penetration of the appellation is hindered, even in France, by the multiplicity of grapes and styles.
Last edited by Tim York on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:15 am

True, even in France you don't see a small area's wines when you are even a little way out of their area.

And I agree with the 'wimpification' of rustic wines with great terroir - Madiran loaded up with softer varietals as opposed to 100% Tannat, Malbecs that are 'softened' with as much merlot as is allowed, Aveyron wines with cabernet instead of fer servadou. etc.

Guess we need someone like Kermit Lynch to champion these small areas with wines traditionally made, but it surely wouldn't be a big money maker for them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Have never tasted anything from Gaillac.

Speaking of rare grapes, I've got a TN to write about the Mission grape. Went into a geeky wine bar in San Francisco that actually had THREE on the menu, and I had a lively conversation with the man responsible for putting them there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Mission is an odd one - sounds like it should be a Vitis labrusca but isn't. Pretty uninteresting for the most part

Mission grapes suited the wine tastes of the early days when sweet wine and brandy were the mainstays. As far as making dry table wine, Mission has many detriments, however, including weak color, bland flavor and poor acidity. While mission is a dark-skinned grape, it makes very light-colored red wine and usually brownish-toned white wine. Although this begs the question of use for table wine at all, better vineyard management and improvements in wine making enable better quality wines to be made from Mission today than ever before.

Interesting article at http://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/article ... 023418.php

Conclusion:

But as a wine drinker, I fear that Mission wine, whether dry or fortified, delivers more pleasure from novelty than from taste.

I am always fascinated to hear about any oddball grape at all, so will look forward to your experiences with Mission. I wonder what else is floating around out there?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:wines that are worthy but that we rarely see here...

Some are a little bit unusual in taste and wouldn't appeal to the vast horde - Jura, for instance.

So has the Jura not caught on in Canada?

It's certainly not as famous as Bordeaux/Burgundy/Rhone, but it has become one of the big hipster wine areas in the US in recent years, and therefore a must-have for so many wine lists/wine stores.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Rahsaan wrote:So has the Jura not caught on in Canada?

Nope - a single listing for a reasonable white and a half dozen starting at ~$150 for various Bourdy gems, plus one Bourdy bubbly at a reasonable price in private stores. Not at all popular in BC. Quebec likes them, though.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:So has the Jura not caught on in Canada?

Nope - a single listing for a reasonable white and a half dozen starting at ~$150 for various Bourdy gems, plus one Bourdy bubbly at a reasonable price in private stores. Not at all popular in BC. Quebec likes them, though.

There is currently only one at the LCBO in Ontario: a Marcel Cabelier Chardonnay Vieille Vignes. I haven't had, or even seen it. There may be private imports by the agents, but I don't know of any way to search them.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Mission...

by TomHill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Mission is an odd one - sounds like it should be a Vitis labrusca but isn't. Pretty uninteresting for the most part

Mission grapes suited the wine tastes of the early days when sweet wine and brandy were the mainstays. As far as making dry table wine, Mission has many detriments, however, including weak color, bland flavor and poor acidity. While mission is a dark-skinned grape, it makes very light-colored red wine and usually brownish-toned white wine. Although this begs the question of use for table wine at all, better vineyard management and improvements in wine making enable better quality wines to be made from Mission today than ever before.

My TN's from last week had 4 Calif Missions in them. Not profound wines, but tasty.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Big fan of Madiran, and my one experience with Pecharmant really wowed me (a ringer for Pomerol).
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:36 pm

Jura? We have Rolet here in AB.