The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: something fishy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: something fishy

by Patchen Markell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Peter Lauer 2015 Saar Riesling, Ayler Kupp, Unterstenberg, Faß 12. Halbtrocken though not designated, went through malo, raised in Fuder. 12.5% abv, $40. The first 60 seconds of this bottle's open life went more or less like this:

Me: "Oh, my god, what is that? That's weird."
Andrea: "Let me smell. Oh! Sardines. Tinned sardines. No, cat food."
Me: "I'm sure it will blow off. But what IS that?"
Andrea: "There's something minerally in there too. Something salty."
Me: "Maybe we should just call it 'saline.'"
Andrea: "Yeah, saline. If there's a fish swimming in it."

There followed much vigorous swirling. Ten minutes later, it had blown off; but even before that, the pescelance was basically imperceptible on the palate. Instead, there was a bracing hit of lime cordial and slightly bitter reddish fruit, followed by a long, minerally, chalk-dust finish. Just a touch of sweetness to balance its firm grip. Concentrated, powerful, and lively, but also disjointed. After an hour, and with food, it became better integrated, and if that was a sign of where it might be in a few years, I'm okay with that. This was my first taste of Lauer -- bought two bottles, one for now and one for an indefinite later -- and I'm basically flummoxed. Does this give me a sense of the producer? I have no idea. Did I like the wine? I have no idea. What the hell was that aroma?

I have no idea.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: WTN: something fishy

by Victorwine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:27 pm

What the hell was that aroma?

Possible the “initial pour” of wine into the glass “interacting” with “residue” (dish detergent etc.) remaining in the glass. Did you find the “fishy” aroma in the second and or third pours?

Salute
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:02 pm

I don't know about the fish part, but I had a few laughs because I've gotten some bizarre aromas from Lauer in the past. And I've also been confused/ambivalent about the wines...
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Possible the “initial pour” of wine into the glass “interacting” with “residue” (dish detergent etc.) remaining in the glass. Did you find the “fishy” aroma in the second and or third pours?

Actually, we had just finished off the tail end of a Mönchhof Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Kabinett, so the glasses had already been "primed," though with a different wine, so I think this is unlikely.

Perhaps when you mix those two wines you get the aroma of the river directly under the Moseltalbrücke, on the A1 between Ürzig and Ayl? :D
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Great note. I don't have this wine in '15, though I see I have the '12 Fass 12 and assorted '15s. I agree Lauers can be weird and inconsistent, and sometimes I'm not sure if I like. I'm also never sure that I can read the damn label. Yet I still buy a few every year.