The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Furmint and Carneros Blend

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Furmint and Carneros Blend

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:42 am

Fekete Pince Somlo 2012 Furmint

Had enjoyed this winery's other white varieties, so when I saw this at Minimo in the Produce District of Oakland I snagged me a bottle. There is A LOT going on here. Layers of flavors and textures. Starts out with a bright burst of citrus acidity, but then layers of smooth almond, savory saline minerality, and pear appear. Lonnnnnngggggg finish. A really impressive white wine.

Robert Sinskey Winery POV Carneros 2013. A merlot dominant Bordeaux blend, so you get a lovely rich plum element to the fruit. Not a fruit bomb, though. Instead, you taste and feel a lithe, high acid red that sung with the Tri Tip. There is that lovely "cassis" fruit that dominates and a real freshness. Nott really "green" in any way, but definitely not over ripe. One of my current favorite Napa red blends! And, the label art work is classy as well! 8)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach