The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Zinfandel with Food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

Zinfandel with Food

by Isaac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:58 pm

I ran across this item in the SF Chronicle.

Just because Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the bill to make Zinfandel "California's historic wine" last summer doesn't mean we don't have a soft spot for the grape, whose California roots date back to the Gold Rush. Luckily, the 16th annual Zinfandel Festival put on by ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates & Producers) dedicates four days of festivities to the variety, including the Good Eats & Zinfandel Pairing ($105) on Thursday, a walk-around wine and food tasting for the hard-to-pair grape, and on Jan. 27, a tasting of Zinfandels from more than 250 wineries ($55/$65). Festivities will be at the Herbst Pavilion at San Francisco's Fort Mason and tickets are available at zinfandel.org/festival or by calling (415) 345-7575.
-- Jane Tunks

Did I miss something? When did Zinfandel become a hard-to-pair wine? Or does this perhaps apply only to the really big, expensive zins I can't afford?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Zinfandel with Food

by Thomas » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Isaac wrote:I ran across this item in the SF Chronicle.

Just because Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the bill to make Zinfandel "California's historic wine" last summer doesn't mean we don't have a soft spot for the grape, whose California roots date back to the Gold Rush. Luckily, the 16th annual Zinfandel Festival put on by ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates & Producers) dedicates four days of festivities to the variety, including the Good Eats & Zinfandel Pairing ($105) on Thursday, a walk-around wine and food tasting for the hard-to-pair grape, and on Jan. 27, a tasting of Zinfandels from more than 250 wineries ($55/$65). Festivities will be at the Herbst Pavilion at San Francisco's Fort Mason and tickets are available at zinfandel.org/festival or by calling (415) 345-7575.
-- Jane Tunks

Did I miss something? When did Zinfandel become a hard-to-pair wine? Or does this perhaps apply only to the really big, expensive zins I can't afford?

That would be my guess. The writer probably hasn't tasted anything but those Ports that pose as Zinfandel.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Aamer Sachedina

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Aamer Sachedina » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:04 pm

From a wine newbie who has just discovered Zins courtesy of suggestions on this forum to try out Ridge Geyserville (which is awesome!), what do the rest of you pair Zins with?

-Aamer
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi Aamer, Welcome to the forum. As to your questions there are lots of question, and usually answers. First there are different styles of zin. My personal favorites (and I would never say one is more favorite than the other) but I like the Ridge zines, especially the Geyser, and the Pagani ranch. so many very high alcohol zins are hard to pair with, but try a Nalle zin. It is more of a finesse wine where most zins are all about power. I call the Nalle claret like. If I had to pick one food to eat with zin, it would be grilled red meat. Not just beef, but for sure I include lamb too. I also like zin with bbq, if the sauce is not too hot, but I could say that about lots of foods.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:16 pm

Aamer, I'm betting a lot of us will say that the ultimate zin food is barbecued ribs. It's big flavors tend to just glow around rich, zesty sauces that are sometimes a little sweet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:22 pm

A not over the top Zinfandel is nice with turkey too. Ans, as I posted in another thread, I had the Bogle Old Vine with curry hen and it was a fine pairing.

Pasta in tomato sauce works too, but again, you have to watch for the wine style.

Zinfandel and deep, dark chocolate can be divine, especially when the wine puts forth that raspberry quality.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Aamer Sachedina wrote:From a wine newbie who has just discovered Zins courtesy of suggestions on this forum to try out Ridge Geyserville (which is awesome!), what do the rest of you pair Zins with?

-Aamer
Speaking only for myself...

Everything!
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:38 pm

I find good Zin such as Seghesio to be a very good food companion. Even under blind tastings I have found Zin to go head to head with CDP or other European wines for food affinity.
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:40 pm

More specifically, the Gnarly Head 2004 Old Vine Zinfandel is my wife's favorite pizza wine.

The lighter style of Zin goes well with nearly everything, much as Pinot Noir does. However, I strongly prefer Zin over PN with Italian fare.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:17 pm

The best food match I've ever had with Zinfandel is a British style corned beef hash. It seemed to play off the chutney quite nicely.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:19 pm

I believe what this thread proves is that Zinfandel is far more versatile than some of those other, well known reds...no? But the critics and their sycophants don't think it can ever be a great wine. I wonder what their problem is?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:32 pm

Agree with much above particularly Corned Beef. When there aren't any full blooded Irishmen around on St Pats Day this 25% Irishman will pop a Zin then.

Generally speaking it goes with anything Syrah/Shiraz, Petite Sirah, et al go with. The acid level is close on these.

It is also a good match with much oriental food, particularly those with big meats and/or heavy sauce. Mexican food is another good match if there isn't any Mexican beer around.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:55 pm

What do I pair Zin with?

Spaghetti, hamburgers, steak, roast beef, turkey, leg of lamb or lamb chops, beans with ham hocks, salmon, mac and cheese ... Just off the top of my head.

Ridge Geyserville is sort of the acme of Zins in my mind. I've only had one bottle of Rafanelli and it was too big for my taste.

Try some Dry Creek Vineyard "Heritage" Zin, or some Gary Farrell Zin, or Steele or Grgich Hills.

Trouble is, there are more Zins than you can shake a stick at, and they vary as much as the various Rhone wines. You just have to find half a dozen that make you lick your chops.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:28 am

Aamer, I've always liked Zins that aren't too high in alcohol (approx. 13-14%) and that have what I call a "raisiny/peppery" nose; these are fantastic with steak, and that would be my favourite pairing. I've had a few over the years, but recently I haven't been buying any Zins. Generally, as it's a very hearty wine, I like to pair it to big foods.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Rod Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 pm

El Dorado, CA

by Rod Miller » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:13 am

Zap Zin. is fun. I like a ripe zin too...surprise. Zin is the BBQ wine. Since I am vegetarian BBQing is a mix of marinated cajun Tofu, potatoes and vegis. Yes a good zin like the Vino Noceto original Grandpere Vineyard zin is perfect. As it is otherwise know OGP is the oldest Zin vineyard in America. As with Levis and shovels, the folks who made money during the gold rush were the merchants selling supplies to the gold miners. The OGP vineyard was planted in the late 1850s and is a short hike from the Omo Ranch Mine and other Consumes River Placer mines. These were pretty rich gold deposits. There is still gold there now. The European immigrant miners wanted wine. Zin survived the summer with its 4 months without a drop of rain.
Last edited by Rod Miller on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings find happiness and the causes of happiness!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Agree with much above particularly Corned Beef. When there aren't any full blooded Irishmen around on St Pats Day this 25% Irishman will pop a Zin then.

Generally speaking it goes with anything Syrah/Shiraz, Petite Sirah, et al go with. The acid level is close on these.

It is also a good match with much oriental food, particularly those with big meats and/or heavy sauce. Mexican food is another good match if there isn't any Mexican beer around.

Carl, I used to pour Ridge Lytton Springs with BBQ duck. Awesome!
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Agree with much above particularly Corned Beef. When there aren't any full blooded Irishmen around on St Pats Day this 25% Irishman will pop a Zin then.

Not being a beer drinker, myself, Zin is the wine of choice with Mexican food at my house.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:22 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:What do I pair Zin with?

Spaghetti, hamburgers, steak, roast beef, turkey, leg of lamb or lamb chops, beans with ham hocks, salmon, mac and cheese ... Just off the top of my head.

Ridge Geyserville is sort of the acme of Zins in my mind.

Works for me!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Broussard, LA

by Kevin C » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:24 am

I love Zins and my favorite is still Storybook Mountain. Along with the BBQ and red meats others have mentioned, I find it goes well with many of the Cajun dishes we cook - etouffe, jambalaya and even chicken and sausage gumbo. YUM!