The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bad wine, like Kalamata Olives

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

Bad wine, like Kalamata Olives

by D Honig » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:11 pm

last night I opened a 1996 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Cornas. It was foul, just foul. The color was reddish brown, and not in a nice old brick sort of way, but muddy. The odor was pungent. The taste can only be described as bad olives, like a Kalamato Olive that sat out on the counter far too long. At the bottom was a fair amount of very fine pasty black sediment.

What would make a bottle do this? I am sure the afficianados here have a ready explanation, but this is the first time I have experienced just this sort of horrible. Thanks for your thoughts.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: Bad wine, like Kalamata Olives

by JoePerry » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:30 pm

D Honig wrote: I am sure the afficianados here have a ready explanation, but this is the first time I have experienced just this sort of horrible. Thanks for your thoughts.

Not an aficionado, but I'd say mid-90's Jaboulet with a side of bad storage is the culprit.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Trust me, it was cooked. I bet you bought it at a local chain, right? Bring it back and demand a refund. If you've poured it down the sink, explain your experience to their wine guy and I think he'll try to make things right for you. You can PM if you'd rather keep this off-line.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

by D Honig » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:31 pm

I talked to the wine guy this afternoon, and he was terrific about it. So that's what "cooked" is. Thank you. That's what I was looking for- a description of the problem.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:20 pm

D Honig wrote:I talked to the wine guy this afternoon, and he was terrific about it. So that's what "cooked" is. Thank you. That's what I was looking for- a description of the problem.

Glad it worked out well for you...I thought (hoped) there would be a satisfactory resolution, as I'd be disapointed in them if they did otherwise. Sometimes shite happens in the wine business and all the retailer can do is try to make it right for the customer.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!